Last few batches all had LOW FG: 1.000 ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireberd350

Reaction score
They all taste fine but these FG seem particularly low.

Is this something I should address?

Here's 3 recipes that all landed this low.

Constants:
  • FG: 1.001 +/- .0001 after 4 days.
  • Mash: No Sparge BIAB 10 Gallon
  • Wyeast Yeast Nutrient*
  • Temp controlled fermentation
1. IPA
  • SG: 1.062
  • Yeast: Dry Nottingham Ale
  • Mash 60 min starting at 154 ending at 150
  • Ferm Temp: 4 days 65, 4 days 69, Crash

2. Pilsner
  • SG: 1.045
  • Yeast: Dry 34/70
  • Mash 75 min starting at 153 ending at 149
  • Ferm Temp: 5 days 58, 5 days 65, Crash

3. Lager
  • SG: 1.041
  • Yeast: Dry 34/70
  • Mash 75 min starting at 151 ending at 147
  • Ferm Temp: 5 days 58, 5 days 65, Crash

*added directly from the vile at 15min left in the boil. Instructions say to dissolve in warm water before pitching into boil, i never do that.

Check your hydrometer in room temperature distilled water to assure that it reads 1.000.

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

spot on. thats the problem. what now? is it as simple as adding .010 to each reading?

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

Depends on if it is out of calibration or something else is causing it. I had a hairline crack on one once that threw it off.
If able, grab a new one. You can use that one for backup after to sharpie a reminder on it.

If that is liquid in the bottom picture you don't even have 1.000 that looks like 0.991 to me. I think the hydrometer is off if that is distilled water.

You could continue using it and add on the .1 or whatever but you should confirm that it is off that amount at higher levels
I would suggest making a 1.1 solution with distilled water and table sugar and test it again
I don't know the ratio off hand but it's easily done in beersmith
I'm sure some Google fu could accomplish it as well

Looks like it may be reading 0.992. As long as the hydrometer is not physically damaged the error should be linear, so if the picture indicates 0.992, then you need to add 0.008 to all of your SG readings, be they OG or FG or anything in-between. The manufacturer did not position the scale correctly. Either that or it slipped.

Then consider getting a new hydrometer. Or calling Northern Brewer and asking for a pre-checked replacement unit, or ask for a refund. If the scale is slipping you need a refund, as it may slip again at any time.

Edit: You should be noticing that all of your OG readings are roughly 0.008 lower than anticipated. Are you seeing this?

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

Closing the loop here: I contacted northern brewer about my mis-calibration and they offered to send me a replacement, no questions asked. A+ service.

Latest posts

Back