Larger than normal keg lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkzter

Reaction score
I recently bought 4 untested kegs from midwest supplies. One of the kegs has blue handles, and has an opening for the lid that is 4" long by 3.5" wide. This is wider than any of my lids. In fact, the lid that shipped with it won't seal, because it is too small.

Has anyone encountered this before? And do you have any tips?

Thanks,
Brad

I don't know then. However, if the keg won't seal, contact Midwest and tell them. I've no doubt they'll take care of the problem for you, most likely will send you another keg.

Sadly I bought 4 kegs as part of an "as-is/untested/uncleaned" lot. I'm regretting it now. All 4 needed cleaning, which was totally fine with me. But one of the kegs has the larger than normal lid. And another will need at least a new post and new escape valve.

2 do seem to be okay though.

Well, you win some, you lose some, I guess. Go ahead and post a picture of the issue and maybe someone can chime in and help you with identifying the keg style.

I'll get some up tomorrow or later tonight when I get home. Thanks for your help.

Here are the pictures of the keg: https://www.flickr.com/photos/punkzter/shares/3045d4

(I had some trouble uploading them, sorry for sending to external link)

I've had a fairly poor experience dealing with Midwest Supplies on this question. After sending them pictures, they said that "it looked like a standard keg lid should work."

I have a racetrack keg sitting on a shelf in my garage. Went to the homebrew shop and they basically said it was a waste of time/money to put anything into, but I got the thing for free so I'm leaning towards rebuilding it, but virtually every piece of it needs to be replaced. I'm interested to see what people recommend as far as getting parts for it because I haven't seen much online about them.

Back