Larger container for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraizter

Reaction score
I have been bottling my first five or so batches of cider with 22oz bomber bottles. Bottling this way can be tedious especially when I drink half the batch within a week. I ferment until dry and do not mind a lack of carbonation, tastes delicious either way.

I usually keep the cider out of the fridge until the morning of drinking it, so I prefer containers that can handle the small amount of pressure building up. I can definitely skip the priming step for the containers since it will be gone before carbonation sets in properly.

I guess my question is:

Are there any safe half gallon containers to use for short term cider storage (drink within a week or two after bottling)?

:mug:

My local homebrew supply store has growlers in many sizes, including half gallon. I assume you should be able to pick up or order such a thing with fair ease.

Yeah that is a good idea, although, I am hoping to find something a bit less expensive than $5-10 each.

Would mason jars work if I kept them at or below 55F?

The cider will be fermented dry and will not have priming sugars.

Maybe "burp" them after a week?

Did your cider/AJ come in plastic gal containers?

Unfortunately no, I have the orchard directly fill the carboys at the press.

I would prefer to stick with glass since it is in glass throughout the process but I'm open to alternatives.

Any local restaurants serve Paul Masson etc kinda vino outta the gal jugs?

If you drink the cider soon after bottling then this may not really matter but the thing about mason jars is that the surface area at the top of the liquid is large. Bottles are designed to have relatively speaking very small surface areas and surface area is a problem when it comes to oxidation.. Unless you are filling the headroom with argon or some other gas (CO2 would work) then "buyer beware..."..

bmd - I could look into the gallon wine jugs in the area for sure

bernard - Good point on the surface area, I'll have to do a couple test trials with smaller wide mouths

z-bob - I might just have to go that route at least temporarily

Thanks!

I like the 1 liter bottles with the ez caps. I also really like the 22oz, 360 Vodka bottles.

Not trying to be critical, but if your doing 1 gallon batches, is it really THAT much of a nuisance to do 4 bottles instead of 2? Of course, I really enjoy bottling day... the more complexity the better for me!

I like the 1 liter bottles with the ez caps. I also really like the 22oz, 360 Vodka bottles.

Not trying to be critical, but if your doing 1 gallon batches, is it really THAT much of a nuisance to do 4 bottles instead of 2? Of course, I really enjoy bottling day... the more complexity the better for me!

Where did you get the 1 gallon batches? I missed that, and I still don't see it.
huh.gif

Where did you get the 1 gallon batches? I missed that, and I still don't see it.
huh.gif
My apologies. I had been reading a lot of posts about people doing 1 gallon batches, then your comment about drinking half the batch in short order, and asking about half gallon containers... I must have put 2 and 2 together and got 1 gallon... my bad.

I think the 32 oz. or 750 ml. swing tops that many places use as small growlers. Since you can get them with custom silk screening for $5 ea. The plain ones got to be cheaper in bulk. Ask you local brewery if he’ll sell you a bunch at cost.

I think the 32 oz. or 750 ml. swing tops that many places use as small growlers. Since you can get them with custom silk screening for $5 ea. The plain ones got to be cheaper in bulk. Ask you local brewery if he’ll sell you a bunch at cost.
Aldi and Trader Joe's sell ginger ale in fat green swing-top 750's, and sparkling French lemonade in tall clear swing-top 750's. (they don't stock it all the time) I have used both kinds. I would trust the tall ones more for high pressure, but I have carbed beer in the fat ones too. Either would be fine for still or lightly-carbonated cider.

Put an ad in your local Freecycle and you can probably get some for free. :)

Back