Large particles in suspension after 2 weeks in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwilliams31

Reaction score
I have a very simple Hefe (70% wheat 30% pils, WB-06) that I'm getting ready to bottle. After 2 weeks in primary, however, there are still A LOT of large particles left in suspension. They look like pieces of grain/hulls, but I'm not sure. I would have though after 2 weeks as large as they are they would have dropped. I'm wondering if this will cause a taste issue with bottling/carbonation?

20191002_142940.jpg

I would wait longer and/or cold crash it. If you bottle it should be OK, when the bottles are chilled the debris should drop, but you will have a pretty large layer on the bottom of the bottles.

That looks like what I call "yeast clumpies". You can rack with a racking cane and avoid the clumps, if you've got one with a tip that keeps out the chunks.

Thanks for the info! It did seem like floating yeast when I starting racking to my bottling bucket. Most of it stayed behind in the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back