Large-ish bubbles - what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
Back in February, I propagated a few jars of Denny's Favorite 50 from a smack pack. The first brew with that yeast, JZ's West Coast Blaster, turned out delicious, however, the very last bottle of the batch had a gusher infection.

I've had my doubts about this propagation, wondering if an infection had taken hold. The Mason jars have been building pressure in the fridge, and have needed burping.

The second batch I brewed with the yeast, an APA, has been pretty lackluster. When I pour it, I see bubbles that aren't exactly grape-sized, but sorta big. I don't have much experience here--what do you think? Judging only from this photo, would you think an infection had taken hold?

image-3613344544.jpg

Does washed yeast sitting in the fridge typically need burping, 3+ months after propagation?

I'm not going to use the remaining jars of Denny's; these questions are just for my own edification. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

mewithstewpid said:
That looks 100% normal. Don't throw the yeast away.

Thanks, Stew. What do you think about the fact hat the yeast needs to be burped? Does that seem strange to you? In the year+ that I've been brewing, I've washed Wyeast's American Ale II, British Ale (1098), Denny's, and (as of this weekend) Belgian Saison. None except Denny's has continued to build pressure while the yeast is in the fridge.

Back