Large increase in fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james78

Reaction score
Hi Guys, the AC went in my room from between 1 to 5 hours. Went from 22 to around 35 degrees for this time. Should this affect the beer quality ?

Probability of off flavors from the temperature rise depends upon how long the fermentation has been going, the yeast you are using, and how soon you were able to cool the beer. An increase like this in the first couple of days of fermentation is not good unless the strain of yeast used can handle a high fermentation temperature. Most ale yeasts aren't meant for temperatures this high.

A swamp cooler will help control temperature swings.

I am using safale 04 trying to make a brown ale. It was in day 6 of fermentation so maybe I will get away with it, fingers crossed

Fingers crossed and a stable temperature about 68°F to 70°F with a primary time of not less than 14 days. Hope it turns out well.

It's probably fine! It's not bulletproof, but brulosophy's done a lot of blind taste tests that suggest fermentation temperature seldom makes a difference.

It's hard to take at face value, but IMO the odds that a temp swing on day 6 will change the flavor of your beer are pretty low. Relax and enjoy it when it's done.

The beer was mostly done fermenting it should taste fine if you did everything else close to correct!

Thanks for the comforting words guys. I am feeling much better about it. Sure the beer the beer will taste fine.

Back