Landscape Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnimalDoc

Reaction score
Hey group,

I have a client that offered to give me a ton of hops. I looked at them and they look fantastic, I'll probably harvest ASAP depending on what you guys say.

My question for the group: Is there such a thing as decorative hops for landscaping that you can't brew with? My client said the individual that planted them said that and before I even attempt to id them, I want to make sure this was accurate info. (I didn't think to get a picture but will, if I may be able to brew with them).

Once again, thank you all for the info.

There are decorative hops, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't brew with them. It just means that they weren't bred with brewing in mind.

If they smell good, use them as aroma hops. If you're adventurous, try a batch with these as the only hop.

There are hops grown for landscaping rather than brewing (sunbeam is common). Some people grow brewing strains for landscaping as well. I'm not really sure what differentiates decorative hops but I'd guess it's either good growth but poor flavor or very low alpha acids. If you choose to harvest them, maybe make a hop tea and taste to see if it's something you want in a beer.

Related question: I know it's normal to have a very small yield the first season (especially when you plant your rhizomes super late, like I did). But is it normal for them to have no aroma? They were a little dry, so maybe I picked them too late? There is no aroma whatsoever. These were from my Centennial.

Related question: I know it's normal to have a very small yield the first season (especially when you plant your rhizomes super late, like I did). But is it normal for them to have no aroma? They were a little dry, so maybe I picked them too late? There is no aroma whatsoever. These were from my Centennial.

That's not really related to decorative/ landscape hops and you'd probably get more/ better answers if you stated a thread of your own you all your question, but I'll give you my 2c.

The ones should be slightly dry when you pick them, but if you let them go too long, they'll lose their oils and you won't get any flavor, aroma, or bitterness out of them.

That's not really related to decorative/ landscape hops and you'd probably get more/ better answers if you stated a thread of your own you all your question, but I'll give you my 2c.

The ones should be slightly dry when you pick them, but if you let them go too long, they'll lose their oils and you won't get any flavor, aroma, or bitterness out of them.

I think that's what happened. Thanks.

Back