LaMotte BrewLab Plus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bizzarre that they would put together a kit for homebrewers and leave out the most important test of all: alkalinity. Maybe they are afraid of weak sulfuric acid. But the sulfate test uses barium chloride.

Missing the alkalinity test is the big minus but you can always buy an alkalinity test kit separately or from another supplier or at an aquarium shop. The big plus here is the sulfate test which I believe uses a Secchi disk like thing and is pretty clever IMO. Most other manufacturers require a turbidimeter or spectrophotometer for this test.

I'd buy the kit without the pH meter. Any under $100 pH meter (and some over $100) need to be viewed with suspicion as many are not stable. The new Hach Pocket Pro+ looks promising but only 3 people here have checked it out.

The other parameter a brewer wants to know is chloride. Again, you could buy a separate test kit for chloride from this or another manufacturer.

Are there better options? Yes. Do they cost more? Yes.

Cool, thanks for your review. What would the required tests be for brewing water? Is there a kit and Ph meter you would recommend?

The alkalinity test is in that kit. It looks like they are covering the primary factors for brewing success. The kit does package things nicely. I note that they still include a chlorine test in the kit and that money is better spent on metabisulfite and the brewer just dosing the water sufficiently to make sure there isn't chlorine or chloramine in the water.

Off hand, just buying Calcium and alkalinity test kits would be less expensive than this brewing test kit. Lamotte makes some fine test kits, but it appears that the components included in this brewing kit are no better than typical aquarium kits. For half the cost, buy the Salifert kits for aquarium use. For about the same cost as Lamotte's brewing kit w/o pH meter, buy their full Calcium and Alkalinity test kits. They are top quality.

Cool, thanks for your review. What would the required tests be for brewing water? Is there a kit and Ph meter you would recommend?

What you want to know in order of importance:

1) Alkalinity
2) Calcium (hardness)
3) Magnesium (hardness)
4) Sulfate
5) Chloride
6) pH
7) Sodium
8) Iron

Note that pH is pretty far down the list but that is with respect to the water chemistry only. A pH meter in the broader context of brewing is as important as a hydrometer and a thermometer (IMO).

As I noted in the earlier post the Hach Pocket Pro+ is looking promising in early reviews. It appears to be stable and accurate but only three people here have tested it. Will the electrode last longer than 6 mos? Will the junction gum up on the 3rd brew? No one knows yet. With advances in technology the answers are probably respectively 'yes' and 'no' but only time will tell.

There isn't much to an alkalinity test. You add acid to a sample until the end point pH is reached with this being signaled either by a pH meter reading or the change in color of an indicator. There are lots of details (including pictures of indicator color at various pH values) at http://wetnewf.org/pdfs/measuring-alkalinity.html. The key is the metering of the acid. It was traditionally done with a burette but is most often done in the kits by counting drops dispensed from an eye dropper. This obviously limits precision and accuracy but is usually precise enough for the brewing application. The aquarium hobby test kits are used by many home brewers with success. I have always used the Hach kits and you often see them in water plants, breweries... They tend to be more expensive than other offerings but are, ultimately, drop count kits. If you want greater precision and accuracy for some reason you can consider the Hach Digital Titrator (illustrated at the bottom of the page at http://wetnewf.org/pdfs/measuring-alkalinity.html). This takes cartridges of titrant which is dispensed by turning a knob and the amount of analyte is read directly from a revolution counter connected to the knob. I measure a lot of alkalinities (and acidities) and this is what I use. But as you probably have guessed it is more expensive than a Mr. Friendly Fish Alkalinity Kit. The up side is that cartridges are available for not only alkalinity but for acidity (not even on the list of needed parameters), hardness and chloride.

Hardness tests are done the same way as alkalinity tests except that the indicator responds to calcium and/or magnesium ions and the titrant is EDTA or EGTA (which chelates those). Be sure to get a kit which tests total and calcium hardness (magnesium hardness being total - calcium).

The sulfate test in the Lamotte kit (and I think you can buy it separately) is the only one I am aware of that doesn't require a nephelometer or spectrophotometer. You can buy reagents only for sulfate tests from Hach that are simply barium chloride if you can come up with another way of measuring turbidity.

There is no good news on sodium. About the best you can do is an ion selective electrode. Those are expensive, require a pH meter that has mV mode, need ionic strength adjusters and, at low sodium levels, take a looong time to respond. For sodium you go to Ward Labs with their AAS/ICP gear.

Iron may or may not be at issue for you. If it is Hach, and others, have relatively inexpensive kits that rely on comparison to colored patches or wheels. Be sure to get a kit which tests for both clear water and total iron.

I'll add chlorine/chloramine. Many manufacturers make kits for this. You don't really need one unless you are interested in testing whether you are using enough metabite in a chloramine situation or whether you have allowed enough standing/heating/aeration in a chlorine only one. This is another case where you need a kit that measures total and free separately.

Go to the Hach website and poke around. Do the same for the LaMotte website. Also check Cole-Parmer.

The alkalinity test is in that kit. It looks like they are covering the primary factors for brewing success. The kit does package things nicely. I note that they still include a chlorine test in the kit and that money is better spent on metabisulfite and the brewer just dosing the water sufficiently to make sure there isn't chlorine or chloramine in the water.

Off hand, just buying Calcium and alkalinity test kits would be less expensive than this brewing test kit. Lamotte makes some fine test kits, but it appears that the components included in this brewing kit are no better than typical aquarium kits. For half the cost, buy the Salifert kits for aquarium use. For about the same cost as Lamotte's brewing kit w/o pH meter, buy their full Calcium and Alkalinity test kits. They are top quality.

Martin, Ive been researching if its best to buy the Salifert test kits off amazon for KH, calcium and magnesium. Would be roughly $50 or the Lamotte Brew Lab

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EJ3DOG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EIZT4Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EIYBKM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Going off of AJ's post of
"What you want to know in order of importance:"

1) Alkalinity
2) Calcium (hardness)
3) Magnesium (hardness)
4) Sulfate
5) Chloride
6) pH
7) Sodium

Would these three kits be enough to test my own tap water? or would I eventually need the sulfate,chloride and PH. Im really getting into water quality for my beers and I want to be able to test all the necessary parameters. Im also on a tight budget(student/wedding expenses). Morebeer has the basic Lamotte kit for $110

https://www.morebeer.com/products/lamotte-brewlab-basic-water-test-kit-718901.html

Now I brew about 6 times a year every couple months so going either way would last me about 8-10 years assuming the reagents don't expire.

Thanks for you time and input! :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, those 3 kits would enable the evaluation of the most valuable water information. Combine those tests with at least a single comprehensive test to give you an idea about those other ions and you are good to go.

Im also on a tight budget(student/wedding expenses). Morebeer has the basic Lamotte kit for $110...

Im really getting into water quality for my beers and I want to be able to test all the necessary parameters.

Now I brew about 6 times a year every couple months so going either way would last me about 8-10 years assuming the reagents don't expire.

This probably won't be of much interest to you but is worth knowing about. I spotted this at the Jacsonville MBAA meeting last fall. It includes a copy of Palmer's book and the Hach pH meter which has become fairly popular in these fora. The thing I really like about it is that it uses Hach's Digital Titrator which is a step up in the accuracy of measurement of the hardnesses and alkalinity: http://www.hach.com/craft-brewing-test-kit/product-details?id=21481774051

If you really become serious about brewing water you will wind up with this stuff eventually any way.

In my opinion, those 3 kits would enable the evaluation of the most valuable water information. Combine those tests with at least a single comprehensive test to give you an idea about those other ions and you are good to go.

Single comprehensive meaning sending my water in to a lab?

This probably won't be of much interest to you but is worth knowing about. I spotted this at the Jacsonville MBAA meeting last fall. It includes a copy of Palmer's book and the Hach pH meter which has become fairly popular in these fora. The thing I really like about it is that it uses Hach's Digital Titrator which is a step up in the accuracy of measurement of the hardnesses and alkalinity: http://www.hach.com/craft-brewing-test-kit/product-details?id=21481774051

If you really become serious about brewing water you will wind up with this stuff eventually any way.

Ha maybe I could put that on my registry. I actually already have the water book which is a great resource for someone like myself. Ill have to keep this in mind thanks AJ

AJ or Martin, if you could answer this for me...

I found out my building filters our water through sand? I've never heard of this before and I'm curious as to how this would effect the mineral content.

I guess its fair to assume that silica content would be increased. Any more details on why or how they re doing this? Is the water aerated before going through the sand bed? If so this may could be done in order to remove iron/manganese in which case iron content would be reduced. Sometimes the sand is a support for activated carbon which is used to remove musty odors. Other than those I can't think of anything.

Sand filtration does not appreciably alter mineral content. Silica is not very soluble and the conditions that could produce silicate are less typical in drinking water. The main thing that would worry about is the metal oxides that can coat some sand. However, the sand used in sand filters has typically already been checked for that.

The only reason I can think of that the building filters the water through sand for, is to remove particulates. Is the building located in an old part of Denver? Rusty water?

I wasn't being terribly serious about the silca increase. It will increase but as the man isn't operating a high pressure turbine or boiler that doesn't really matter. Silica is, of course, soluble to the extent of at least 28 mg/L as that's how much I have in my water but I don't operate high pressure boilers or turbines either. I was worried about deposition on my RO membranes but that has not, after 5 years, proven to be a problem.

All I could find out is that the water goes to the boilers after filtration. I would say I live in one of the oldest oldest neighborhoods but with newer homes/shopping (cherry creek Denver). My building is old compared to surrounding property, built in 1974.

Sounds like I shouldn't concern myself with it then. Thanks guys

So whats the verdict? Is the BrewLab Plus a good buy or would I be better off getting a few Ward Lab reports over time? I know I could test more often if I had my own stuff and that's the only reason I'm even considering this kit. I will say that I'm having a hard time understanding how I would translate the readings into inputs for Bru'n Water completely while its very easy with the Ward Lab report!

FWIW, I heard about this BrewLab Plus kit on a BrewStrong Podcast. Jamil and John Palmer couldn't say enough good about it and it had me pumped to buy it. Jamil even said that they use it in his brewery and that his brewers like the pH Meter better than any of the others that they have. So, a pretty strong recommendation coming from that source!

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/brew-strong-water-testing/

But, researching before I buy, I found this post where mabrungard and ajdelange dont really seem to have much positive to say about it. And since I looked at the instructions and am trying t figure out how I'd get the results onto Bru'n Water, I'm fairly confused on some of the translations. As-Is, I'd be lost if I couldn't get the right numbers onto Martin's awesome tool! Maybe I'm simply not smart enough... :confused:

I'd appreciate some input from the two water guys on this thread as your info is well regarded! Any comments on how an idget like me could make sense of results from this kit for use with Bru'nWater? Or should idget's like me stick to Ward Lab reports?

I've purchased and used the Brewlab test kit and compared the results to the water testing I had done several years back. My comments are limited by the fact that I have very soft, low mineral content water coming from my well. My purpose in getting the kit was to confirm that my water quality was about the same as it had been, considering several people up the street had put in new wells over the past year or so, and also to check for any seasonal changes.

Compared to a water test (not Ward labs, but similar test results, plus a lot of the biological screenings), the kit is fairly accurate. It is limited by the range and precision of some of the test parameters. For instance, my Sulfate concentration is less than 10 ppm and the testing precision is either 0 ppm or 50 ppm, not too useful. My Chloride is high, and the test kit is pretty accurate with that.

In the end, it will get you some numbers to play with and for most people it will be accurate enough. I don't target regional water profiles when I brew, I just add a minimum of the desired salts needed to get the effect I want and the BrewLab test kit does well enough in that regard.

To start with the pH meter: I am suspicious of any meter that costs under $100. That doesn't mean it isn't a great meter but there are hundreds of cheapies out there and many disappoint so I'd get the kit without the meter and go to Hach for a pH Pro +. That is pretty much a sure thing as it has been vetted extensively here and while there were problems with it at roll out (and for quite a while after actually) Hach's customer service was, reportedly, what we all dream about these days.

As for the kit itself. It measures alkalinity and hardness in archaic units of 'ppm as CaCO3'. The basic unit is the milliquivalent per liter and it is obtained by dividing ppm by 50. The 100 ppm as CaCO3 is 2 mEq/L. Alkalinity is the amount of acid required to neutralize the bicarbonate in the water. Bru'n water therefore wants you to input the weight of the bicarbonate equivalent to the alkalinity which is 61*mEq/L. Take the ppm as CaCO3 number from the test, divide by 50 and then multiply by 61.

With respect to hardness, an mEq of calcium weighs 20 grams so take the ppm as CaCO3 number and divide by 50 to get mEq/L then multiply that by 20 to get mg/L which you can enter into Brun water. For magnesium the equivalent weight is 12.15 so divide by 50 and multiply by 12.15 to get mg/L which you enter into the program.

The sodium test is not terribly useful as it is obtained by subtracting chloride and sulfate equivalencies (mg/L) from total hardness (in mEq/L) and calling the result the equivalency of sodium as the sum of all the anion charges must equal the sum of the cation charges. The problem is in the grossness of the measurements of the other ions. We can see from the Secci disk chart in the instructions and the specified range of the test that the sulfate precision is 50 ppm. That means that the average measurement error on a sulfate reading is 14 mg/L. Lots of people have sulfate at less than that level and you can't really have a lot of confidence in a reading that is that fuzzy (or I couldn't, anyway). But the other data are useful.

Thanks, that helps a lot. Guess I'll focus on the pH meter you recommend and stick to the lab reports.

I've decided against purchasing the kit after speaking with numerous breweries. I live in Denver and most of the Brewers said it would be a waste of money better spent elsewhere. I did buy the API GH/KH kit off amazon for cheap and followed http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=At_home_water_testing

Here's one response from a local Denver brewery

"No need to go chassing a rabbit down a whole at this point. Brew some batches record the pH take good tasting notes then compare and make single tweeks to dial a recipe in.

Denver's water report is fairly accurate BUT has its issues...it will change seasonally since it is runoff, lower concentration of minerals in high runoff season, higher concentration in low runoff season (now). Also we have three different aquifers that feed the system and they vary. The good news is the variance is fairly small relatively, SOOO, without getting a custom water sample each time you brew your best bet is to use an average. Here is what we use..."

Source WaterCalcium (ppm)Magnesium (ppm)Alkalinity as CaCO3Sodium (ppm)Chloride (ppm)Sulfate (ppm)Water pH
(ppm)33872182957

I would recommend contacting your local breweries first before spending money on a kit that will get you close and won't be as accurate as a lab report

The sodium test is not terribly useful as it is obtained by subtracting chloride and sulfate equivalencies (mg/L) from total hardness (in mEq/L) and calling the result the equivalency of sodium as the sum of all the anion charges must equal the sum of the cation charges. The problem is in the grossness of the measurements of the other ions. We can see from the Secci disk chart in the instructions and the specified range of the test that the sulfate precision is 50 ppm. That means that the average measurement error on a sulfate reading is 14 mg/L. Lots of people have sulfate at less than that level and you can't really have a lot of confidence in a reading that is that fuzzy (or I couldn't, anyway). But the other data are useful.

I have the Lamotte kit and have questions about the sodium calcs. Like stated above, the sulfate reading is very generalized. According to this kit, my sulfates are between 0 & 50. I've tested the chloride, alkalinity, hardness multiple times and am comfortable with the results.
My water is from a 535' well in the Ozark mountains. Alkalinity is thru the roof (320).
Anyway, is there a good or better way to calculate the sodium levels than the formula described in the kit? When I enter my numbers in the Palmer xl sheet, the cation & anions are way off. My "calculated" sodium level is 122ppm, but if I lower it to 61, those two are even.

My numbers are:
Ca = 32
Mg = 2.4
Chloride = 40
Sulfate = 0-50
Sodium = 122
Total hardness as CACO3 = 90
Total Alk = 320

Thanks!

No. The formula is based on the fact that the charges on the cations must equal the charge on the anions as water is electrically neutral. At reasonable pH the hydrogen ion and hydroxyl ion concentrations are so low we don't have to consider them.

Total Hardness: 90/50 = +1.8 mEq/L
Alkalinity: 320/50 = -6.4 mEq/L
Chloride: 40/35.15 = - 1.128
Sulfate: 50/48.04 = -1.041

Sum: = -6.769

This means that your water must have something with charge +6.569 mEq/L to balance the -6.569 mEq/L from the ions you measured. If that something is all sodium then your sodium content must be 23*6.769 = 155.7 mg/L. That's if the sulfate is really 50. If it is 0 then the sum is 1.8 -6.4 -1.128 -0 = -5.728 and the sodium estimate is
23*5.728 = 131.7 mg/L. So your sodium is somewhere between 131.7 and 155.7 mg/L depending on where your sulfate falls between 0 and 50.

Now if you put those numbers into a spreadsheet that calculates ion balance you should get perfect balance because the sodium is calculated on the assumption of perfect balance. The fact that you don't says there is a problem either with the LaMotte kit's calculation or the spreadsheet (or, I suppose, both).

The problem is that sodium is difficult to measure unless you have very expensive AAS or ICP gear or an expensive sodium ion selective electrode for your pH meter which is a PITA to use (no ATC, non linear, requires ionic strength adjuster). So using the 0 balance calculation is about the only way to go for a home brewer. But it is obvious that a 1 mEq/L error in the measurement of another ion or alkalinity will result in a 1 mEq/L error in the estimated sodlum. Also assuming that there is no potassium or iron or manganese or phosphate when those are in fact present will introduce more error. Fortunately, when present, they are usually present in small quantity (few mg/L), have pretty hefty atomic weights (K: 39; Fe: 56...) so that a mg or two leads to a small mEq/L error. At the same time, sodium is relatively low in equivalent weight (23).

Right on!

I appreciate the break down.

As for the spreadsheets, I entered my numbers in both Palmers and Bru'n and when I enter a value of 61 for Sodium, the ion balance is even. That tells me the spreadsheets are accurate and I've got more in my water than I can test for.

Thanks again for the help!

That tells you the spreadsheets agree with each other but they do not agree with either LaMottes calculations or mine. Mine (and I'm not saying I didn't make an error) says you need 6.7 mEq/L of some cation. LaMotte says you need about 4. In calling the sodium 61 to force the spreadsheets to balance you are saying that there is at least 1 mEq of something not tested for. Do you really have 39 mg/L potassium in your water. It is possible but not likely.

How would iron affect this?

sulphur water is prevalent in the area and while we're lucky to not have it most of the time, we have had bouts of it in very dry times of the year when the water table drops.

I think I will see if I can find what the nearest town's water report is like. We live 10-12 miles from a municipality.

Here is what I could find online from the DNR.

Small town nearby:
IRON 2/12/2013 0.012 MG/L
POTASSIUM 2/12/2013 1.15 MG/L

Larger town:
IRON 3/25/2015 0.0053 MG/L
MANGANESE 3/25/2015 0.0016 MG/L
POTASSIUM 3/25/2015 2.76 MG/L

Also, both reports show Sodium right at 7mg/l for both locations.. Interesting

I talked the local health dept and they're going to send my water off to the state lab for free. We'll see what shows up. They'll test for Iron and Manganese, among other things, but not Potassium. I'll post the results when I get them. Might be a week.

Thanks again for the help.

AJ or Martin, if you could answer this for me...

I found out my building filters our water through sand? I've never heard of this before and I'm curious as to how this would effect the mineral content.

Well, I am certainly not AJ or Martin, but could it be possible that your building is using sand/gravel bed water softeners? Or are they actual filters? Sand bed softeners are still in use in my industry to support the resin beads in SAC/WAC softeners.
This likely would affect your water makeup.

Filtering through sand is used to 'polish' water often by using it to support granulated activated carbon or other materials. It is also sometimes used by home brewers to remove iron (oxidize to Fe(III) by aeration then filter through sand to remove Fe2(OH)3 gel). It shouldn't have much effect on ion content of water except, of course, to increase silicate.

Finally got my results back from the state lab.

They didn't measure sodium in the test

Here's the numbers from the LaMotte kit:
My numbers are:
Ca = 32
Mg = 2.4
Chloride = 40
Sulfate = 0-50
Sodium = 122
Total hardness as CACO3 = 90
Total Alk = 320

Here's the lab numbers:
ph = 7.8
Fluoride = 1.4 mg/l
Chloride = 4.9 mg/l (LaMotte says 40??)
Sulfate = 19 mg/l (LaMotte says 0-50)
TDS = 320 mg/l
Lithium = .16 mg/l
Iron = .05 mg/l
Arsenic = .015 mg/l
Strontium = .51 mg/l
Molybdenum = .008 mg/l
Uranium = .005 mg/l

Manganese was less than .02 mg/l and no potassium listed

:mug:

Well that's a nice comparative set of apples and oranges. It is true that 0 <19 < 50 so that's something. I'd suggest that you grab a big sample, put half of it in a bottle and send it off to Ward Labs and then run the LaMotte tests on the rest. The two sets of results will be more comparable than these two.

Yeah, I was disappointed when I got it back.

I will say though that I have brewed twice since then and was able to vastly improve my lighter beers. Alkalinity is my main culprit and with some of the spreadsheets help and some math, I was able to make some mineral/acid additions to hit the target ph in both mash and sparge.

I will send off a sample to Ward and get a more brewing friendly report.

Thanks again for your help.

Saw the previous La Motte/lab test comparison. Wanted to share my most recent comparison. I just installed a new RO setup and sent a couple samples to Ward to compare with results I got with the La Motte kit. 1 sample was post carbon filters, pre RO, and the 2nd was post RO filter. I've attached a screenshot. Obviously it appears the tolerance level of the Ward tests are much tighter then the La Motte. I would by no mean consider myself a water expert but the La Motte kit seems to be an ok test kit for "spot" checking you water. I always use the Ward results when doing water addition calculations with Bru'N Water. The La Motte kit just allows a quick test to make sure there aren't any drastic differences due to any seasonal changes in my source water. It includes everything you need and explains the calculations simply. Yes without question more expensive then purchasing individual test kits from the aquarium world, but I guess there is a price to be paid for convenience.... I will say I purchased the La Motte Tracer PH Meter separate from the original La Motte kit and that meter was pretty worthless. Got it through Amazon so maybe I got a dud but I couldn't get it through the cal procedure. It is suppose to auto detect which Cal solution you have it in and it always read everything as 7.0. After reading many bad reviews afterward of that meter I would definitely skip the version of the kit that includes that. My opinion is you can go wrong with the 40 or so bucks to send a sample to Ward to get an accurate starting point.

La Motte VS Ward.jpg

You may well find that as you gain experience in using the kit your accuracy will improve with the alkalinity, hardness and chloride tests and perhaps even with the sulfate and, as the accuracy of the sodium measurement depends on those, it too may get better. On that same note you have quite a bit of potassium here which, as the LaMotte test did not measure it, you did not subtract from the alkalinity, chloride and sulfate sum in order to get the sodium equivalence. If you know there is that much potassium, as you now do, deduct and additional 3 mg/L from the final sodium estimate as calculated from the LaMotte instructions. Thus your sodium estimate is 72 - 3 = 69 mg/L.

I'll also point out that you can increase the sensitivity of drop count tests simply by using twice as much sample and twice as much indicator. You will use twice as much titrant to get the color change (and go through the kit twice as fast) but if each drop is worth 10 ppm in the normal test it is now worth 5 making more precise measurements possible.

You may well find that as you gain experience in using the kit your accuracy will improve with the alkalinity, hardness and chloride tests and perhaps even with the sulfate and, as the accuracy of the sodium measurement depends on those, it too may get better. On that same note you have quite a bit of potassium here which, as the LaMotte test did not measure it, you did not subtract from the alkalinity, chloride and sulfate sum in order to get the sodium equivalence. If you know there is that much potassium, as you now do, deduct and additional 3 mg/L from the final sodium estimate as calculated from the LaMotte instructions. Thus your sodium estimate is 72 - 3 = 69 mg/L.

I'll also point out that you can increase the sensitivity of drop count tests simply by using twice as much sample and twice as much indicator. You will use twice as much titrant to get the color change (and go through the kit twice as fast) but if each drop is worth 10 ppm in the normal test it is now worth 5 making more precise measurements possible.

Thanks for the info on adjustment due to the level of potassium in my water and for also pointing out the ability to increase the accuracy by doubling the sample size and indicator amount. Both much appreciated!

Martin, Ive been researching if its best to buy the Salifert test kits off amazon for KH, calcium and magnesium. Would be roughly $50 or the Lamotte Brew Lab

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EJ3DOG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EIZT4Y/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EIYBKM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
:

Be aware: the linked Salifert Mg test is for marine water only! I did not notice that, and it is really not working with fresh water. The rest is OK, just tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back