Laminate vs engineered wood. Opinions wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemidoc

Reaction score
OK her's the thing..
I had a water line under my master bath sink let loose and fill my bedroom and master bath with water.
Ruined the engineered hardwood( stained and warped)
I'm going back with either engineered wood or laminate.
Laminate is a little less but insurance is paying for some of it.
Main question is should I remove the damaged engineered wood or can I clean it somehow and lay the new over it?
Going with tile in the bath so probably need to pull that up and wonder board.
Opinions?

I would pull the damaged wood. If you put something over it you will be raising the floor by that thickness. Connecting to other rooms could be a pain with the different heights.

In the bedroom I would use the engineered wood. I don't like laminates as much. But there are so many choices these days.....

In the bathroom, if you want a wood look there are tiles that look just like wood. The underlayment depends on what is already there.

I would pull the damaged wood. If you put something over it you will be raising the floor by that thickness. Connecting to other rooms could be a pain with the different heights.

In the bedroom I would use the engineered wood. I don't like laminates as much. But there are so many choices these days.....

In the bathroom, if you want a wood look there are tiles that look just like wood. The underlayment depends on what is already there.

Yeah I'm going tile in the bath.
Prob is the wood is glued down and will suck to remove.
I'll put 1/4 waterboard down in the bath if I remove the wood

Remove the old wood. I know it sucks, but you will be better off pulling it up and starting over. They make electric machines that can help take it up. Check your local rental places.

If you didn't want to deal with laying tile, they make a laminate flooring that is made from Urethane nowadays that is waterproof. Both glue down and locking versions. They look pretty nice and the average person can install fairly easily. Great option for the DIY'er in wet areas. They even have stone patterns that look pretty nice.

I'd tear it all up. If you use a hammer drill with a scraper attachment, you should be able to get it up pretty easily. I've used one to pull up tile and lathe.

I'd put down engineered wood. Laminate is OK, but it looks (and feels) like laminate. If you ever sell your home, you'll be happy to didn't go with the laminate.

If the floor is warped, it has to go. I'd go with laminate in the bathroom, no worries of cracking or grout problems, its really bulletproof, I've used it my kitchen for 10 + years, spilled all kinds of liquids, dragged furniture across it, without any problems.
This is just my preference, I just don't like tile floors.
In the bedroom I'd go with real wood, pine or oak wide plank would look great, but those are just my preferences.
Again laminate in the bedroom would be cheaper and easier to install.

Back