Lalvin EC-1118 for Pale Ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art2019

Reaction score
Hi all!
I figured there some experienced folks here that did some experimenting with ec-1118 on Ale & need some advice.
I have a pale ale that's supposed to have an og of 1.052 (lost my s-04 I was going to use) so using the ec-1118 I had available for mead. Would this work very well considering it's for a much higher og? I was thinking of adding 5 lbs of raw honey if it'll help perform better - I'm making 5 gal.

Any thoughts?

My layman's understand is that wine (and cider) yeasts aren't going to be as good at eating longer-chain sugars as beer yeasts. They're more adapted to juices which have predominantly simple sugars. So adding a wine yeast to wort runs the risk of a stalled fermentation before you hit your target final gravity. But I'm not a mycologist.

Edit: I said phytologist where I meant mycologist.

My layman's understand is that wine (and cider) yeasts aren't going to be as good at eating longer-chain sugars as beer yeasts. They're more adapted to juices which have predominantly simple sugars. So adding a wine yeast to wort runs the risk of a stalled fermentation before you hit your target final gravity. But I'm not a mycologist.

Edit: I said phytologist where I meant mycologist.
Thanks.
Well, maybe I'll just order some Brewer yeast. I'm totally rural & nothings out where I live so need to make an order. I'll just look for kit sales.

Thanks.
Well, maybe I'll just order some Brewer yeast. I'm totally rural & nothings out where I live so need to make an order. I'll just look for kit sales.
Order more than you have planned batches for to cover any similar situation. I have 22 packs of dry yeast in my fridge with only 9 in the brewing queue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221015-193215.png
    Screenshot_20221015-193215.png
    55 KB · Views: 0
Back