Lallemands London ESB is a beast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I picked up some of this yeast to try, and wow, did it go! I pitched it into a 1 gal test patch of blackcurrant ale, SG 1.070. In less than 48hrs it seems finished at 1.014, 7.6%. I even had it in a cold water bath the whole time, trying to slow it down.

Don't know what it will taste like, but that was a lot of sugar to chew through in about 36 hrs.

I pitched it into a 1.040 best bitter at 1pm yesterday and it was burping out the airlock every 8 seconds by 9pm. And every 2 seconds this morning.

Mine's not bubbling anymore at the 40 hour mark so being a lot lower O G than yours it may be done. I'll take a reading maybe later today.

Last edited:
I just took a reading and it's where I was hoping it would be: 1.012. The hydrometer sample tasted good.

I had about the same experience with the fermentation but both my beers had a soapy flavor,so my next English brews will be fermented with 1469 Yorkshire. The soap thing is why I don't use the WY 1968,and I think this dried yeast is close to it.

I had about the same experience with the fermentation but both my beers had a soapy flavor,so my next English brews will be fermented with 1469 Yorkshire. The soap thing is why I don't use the WY 1968,and I think this dried yeast is close to it.
Even at only two days old and a fast ferment I get no soapy taste.
I've read other threads about this yeast with no mention of soapy taste and the consensus is that it's not a dry version of 1968.

Just tried Danstar (Lallemand) London ESB in a 1.055 Porter. AIrlock activity went nuts in abut 6 hours and then slowed down to once or twice a minute after 48 hours. And the krausen is already dropping.

Glad I found this thread, I thought maybe it was going to be a stall or something as it was so fast. I held the temp at 65-67 the whole time, but I was shocked at how fast it went through the active part of fermentation. I have not tested gravity yet. I'm letting it come up to 68-70 for a day or so and then I'll check it.

Just wanted to say thanks to those of you who shared your experience!

Back