Lallemand Abbaye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haussenbrau

Reaction score
I am planning on using Lallemand Abbaye to make a Belgian Golden Strong this year. My usual go to yeast for Belgian strongs one packet of T-58 and one packet of S-33. Has anyone used Lallemand Abbaye and what was the results?

Haussenbrau,

i'm very intrigued by your yeast mixing as i'm thinking of doing it myself, likewise with t-58 and s-33. I'm hoping to make a belgian blonde/belgian strong, maybe like leffe, but not necessarily the same.
What's your mixing ratio?
What kind of flavors do you get?
Fermentation temperature?
How much yeast per batch?
Tell me everything!:)

Haussenbrau,

i'm very intrigued by your yeast mixing as i'm thinking of doing it myself, likewise with t-58 and s-33. I'm hoping to make a belgian blonde/belgian strong, maybe like leffe, but not necessarily the same.
What's your mixing ratio?
What kind of flavors do you get?
Fermentation temperature?
How much yeast per batch?
Tell me everything!:)

I usually use one packet of each to make any of the Belgian Strong Ales. I think it a better yeast than either S-22 or T-58 by themselves. I have been in the 72-74F temperature range to encourage the ester development. The fruity esters come through. The esters that come through depends on if it is a Trippel, Dubbel, or a Quad. The grain bill makes a big difference. My next Belgian I am planning on using a free rise from 68F and limit the free rise to about 79F. If you need more information let me know.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been gleaning valuable information from this site for a number of years, but haven't posted until now.

I'm in the middle of doing some side-by-side yeast comparisons, and I'm interested in how Lallemand Abbaye compares to the more established Belgian strains. I recently bottled an all-grain BIAB batch of the Belgian Dubbel from Brewing Classic Styles (which I highly recommend if you don't have it), which I split between Lallemand Abbaye and WLP500 (supposed "Chimay" yeast). I brew small batches (about 1.5 gal at a time), so I split it into 2 1-gallon jugs (no oxygenation or yeast nutrient), and let ferment in my basement at about 65-67 ambient. With such low thermal mass in each fermentor, there wasn't any noticeable temperature increase from fermentation.

I rehydrated 1 tsp of Abbaye (probably about 4 grams) and pitched this along with 1/2 vial of WLP500 (not 100% sanitary, but it's how I stretch my yeast dollars with such small batches). Interestingly, the Abbaye started and finished fermentation about 24 hours before the White Labs. Carbonated everything to about 3.0 vol CO2.

Both batches have been in the bottle only 2 weeks as of today, but I opened one of each this weekend, and they taste remarkably similar. I would say the fruity esters are a little stronger with WLP500, and Abbaye has just a little more spiciness too it (kind of a cross between WLP500 and WLP530). If I had to choose a winner right how, I'd say I like Abbaye better, but I'll have to let the bottles age a few months before I can really evaluate them.

I plan to brew the basic Belgian Blonde Ale (like Leffe) from Brewing Classic Styles soon with the same yeasts and fermentation conditions, so I can compare light vs dark Belgian styles with these yeasts. I'll report back when that's done.

But so far, I'm pleasantly surprised with Lallemand Abbaye and would recommend it.

Here's a long thread on it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=487645
I have some comparisons of abbaye vs T58 and Chimay in there.

Looks like that thread is all about the Fermentis Safbrew Abbaye, which for some reason isn't sold by any of the places I normally buy my yeast, so I'm trying the Lallemande/Danstar version. Why the only two dried Trappist yeasts have to both be named "Abbaye" is beyond me. Probably just to confuse people on homebrew forums.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been gleaning valuable information from this site for a number of years, but haven't posted until now.

I'm in the middle of doing some side-by-side yeast comparisons, and I'm interested in how Lallemand Abbaye compares to the more established Belgian strains. I recently bottled an all-grain BIAB batch of the Belgian Dubbel from Brewing Classic Styles (which I highly recommend if you don't have it), which I split between Lallemand Abbaye and WLP500 (supposed "Chimay" yeast). I brew small batches (about 1.5 gal at a time), so I split it into 2 1-gallon jugs (no oxygenation or yeast nutrient), and let ferment in my basement at about 65-67 ambient. With such low thermal mass in each fermentor, there wasn't any noticeable temperature increase from fermentation.

I rehydrated 1 tsp of Abbaye (probably about 4 grams) and pitched this along with 1/2 vial of WLP500 (not 100% sanitary, but it's how I stretch my yeast dollars with such small batches). Interestingly, the Abbaye started and finished fermentation about 24 hours before the White Labs. Carbonated everything to about 3.0 vol CO2.

Both batches have been in the bottle only 2 weeks as of today, but I opened one of each this weekend, and they taste remarkably similar. I would say the fruity esters are a little stronger with WLP500, and Abbaye has just a little more spiciness too it (kind of a cross between WLP500 and WLP530). If I had to choose a winner right how, I'd say I like Abbaye better, but I'll have to let the bottles age a few months before I can really evaluate them.

I plan to brew the basic Belgian Blonde Ale (like Leffe) from Brewing Classic Styles soon with the same yeasts and fermentation conditions, so I can compare light vs dark Belgian styles with these yeasts. I'll report back when that's done.

But so far, I'm pleasantly surprised with Lallemand Abbaye and would recommend it.

Thanks for the comparison. I recently did a Belgian single with WLP500. It is tasting awesome, but it was a fricking sulphur bomb in the fermenter. I've never smelled sulphur that strong outside of

A) Hotspring/mud pot
B) Chemistry class
C) The Devil's chamberpot

I let it go an extra 3 weeks before bottling just to let more sulphur volitize. There was still a hint of sulphur at bottling, but just 1 week in the bottle and it smells clean now and no sulphur taste. In fact, this stuff tastes awesome! I do kind of wish I had mixed in a little orange peel and corriander (just a hint), but it is an awesome beer so far. Dry, but not too dry, a little peppery and fruity. A very classic Belgian single/blonde. If it was maybe 1% lower ABV, I could drink these all day (they are about 5.4% ABV though...so maybe not).

Deffinitely going to be reusing the WLP500 in a few more belgian recipes (I've normally used T-58, which I managed to make a great Dubble with, a decent Belgian porter and a couple of other Belgian beers awhile back, I deffinitely like WLP500 more). I want to try my hand at a Tripple later this summer, as soon as I knock out a pumpkin ale for my wife (she has demanded it. The price of success), A Saison and a Hefe.

Looks like that thread is all about the Fermentis Safbrew Abbaye, which for some reason isn't sold by any of the places I normally buy my yeast, so I'm trying the Lallemande/Danstar version. Why the only two dried Trappist yeasts have to both be named "Abbaye" is beyond me. Probably just to confuse people on homebrew forums.

I brew with the "yeast of opportunity"............ What's locally available. I've used Lallemand Belle Saison with good results, and am about to brew with WLP 1214 in the near future. My lagers have mostly used 34/70..... because it's available and works very well, and I use a lot of USA-05 for yeast neutral ales. I also have a packet of Munton's Gold I plan to use with some ales just to see what it does.

My first year of brewing was fairly conservative...... This year I'm going "hop wild" and playing with yeasts a bit more...I can't believe I've brewed 30 times so far this year!!

I started the thread because I wanted information on the Lallamand Abbaye yeast.

I'm fermenting a BPA with that yeast at the moment.
I obviously cannot say that much, but...

- OG : 1.043
- Between 72 and 75F all along
- Brewed one week ago

So far...
- Quick starter (visible fermentation signs in less than 2 hours)
- Blowoff needed. Carboy A little more "filled" than usual though. Not particularly violent, but I'd advise keeping the blow off close. I did use Fermcap.
- Might be prone to stalling. I want to key on "MIGHT" here, because I didn't take any measure, but there is a small but clearly visible krausen "ring" just an inch below the "main" krausen "tapestry". That also was during something of a spring heatwave which coincided with the temperature hitting 75F (I have no temp control system).
- As of today, it is very quiet though.

Two very interesting things I noticed though (and which sets it apart from the Fermentis)
- Surprisingly clear since the last two days. Way better flocculation than I expected. Maybe not S-4 clear, but very clear.
- No sulfur whatsoever at any point of the fermentation.

I'm fermenting a BPA with that yeast at the moment.
I obviously cannot say that much, but...

- OG : 1.043
- Between 72 and 75F all along
- Brewed one week ago

So far...
- Quick starter (visible fermentation signs in less than 2 hours)
- Blowoff needed. Carboy A little more "filled" than usual though. Not particularly violent, but I'd advise keeping the blow off close. I did use Fermcap.
- Might be prone to stalling. I want to key on "MIGHT" here, because I didn't take any measure, but there is a small but clearly visible krausen "ring" just an inch below the "main" krausen "tapestry". That also was during something of a spring heatwave which coincided with the temperature hitting 75F (I have no temp control system).
- As of today, it is very quiet though.

Two very interesting things I noticed though (and which sets it apart from the Fermentis)
- Surprisingly clear since the last two days. Way better flocculation than I expected. Maybe not S-4 clear, but very clear.
- No sulfur whatsoever at any point of the fermentation.

Thanks That is good information. I will be starting my Golden Strong ans soon as my Baltic Porter is done. I will update my results in June.

Update.

Bottled yesterday. Went from 1.045 (and not 1.043) to 1.011. Granted it was a SmaSh. Mashed a wee bit higher than I should've had. Leads me to think that attenuation is pretty much as advertised.

Might have been my most "ready" brew straight out of the carboy so far. Mostly spicy esters - there was fruit, but mostly from the Summer Saaz I used in dry-hop as well (stone fruit). Cake was quite loose at the bottom (but, then again, the beer was suprisingly clear). There was no sulfur during the fermentation and there was no sulfur now either.

More news in two weeks.

Update.

Bottled yesterday. Went from 1.045 (and not 1.043) to 1.011. Granted it was a SmaSh. Mashed a wee bit higher than I should've had. Leads me to think that attenuation is pretty much as advertised.

Might have been my most "ready" brew straight out of the carboy so far. Mostly spicy esters - there was fruit, but mostly from the Summer Saaz I used in dry-hop as well (stone fruit). Cake was quite loose at the bottom (but, then again, the beer was suprisingly clear). There was no sulfur during the fermentation and there was no sulfur now either.

More news in two weeks.

Thanks fir the update. I have my Golden Strong now. It started at 1.073 and it was a quick starter as you stated. I started at 69F and used a Free Rise temperature profile. I capped the free rise at 78F. A lot of fruity esters being thrown off during fermentation. Update in about a week.

Golden Strong with Lallemand Abbaye update. I just transferred to the secondary today and will be crashing the yeast. I mashed at 150F for 60 minutes with a double batch sparge. I added 2 lb. of homemade invert sugar to the primary (260F endpoint). I did a free rise fermentation in the primary starting at 69F with a 78F limit. The sample tasted fruity (temperature) with a touch of spicy. Below are the numbers so far.

Recipe
Water Cl/SO4 = 1:1
Water Ca = 91 ppm
Belgian Pilsner = 10 lb.
Carapils = 0.75 lb.
Polaris 21.3 AA @ 60 min. = 0.06 oz.
Fuggles 4.0 AA @ 30 min. = 1.2 oz.
Fuggles 4.0 AA @ 15 min. = 1.1 oz.
Styrian Golding 3.7 AA @ 15 min. = 0.45 oz.
Styrian Golding 3.7 AA @ 5 min. - 0.35 oz.

OG = 1.073
SG @ Transfer = 1.007 (temperature corrected)
Apparent Attenuation = 90.4%

Golden Strong with Lallemand Abbaye update. I just transferred to the secondary today and will be crashing the yeast. I mashed at 150F for 60 minutes with a double batch sparge. I added 2 lb. of homemade invert sugar to the primary (260F endpoint). I did a free rise fermentation in the primary starting at 69F with a 78F limit. The sample tasted fruity (temperature) with a touch of spicy. Below are the numbers so far.

Recipe
Water Cl/SO4 = 1:1
Water Ca = 91 ppm
Belgian Pilsner = 10 lb.
Carapils = 0.75 lb.
Polaris 21.3 AA @ 60 min. = 0.06 oz.
Fuggles 4.0 AA @ 30 min. = 1.2 oz.
Fuggles 4.0 AA @ 15 min. = 1.1 oz.
Styrian Golding 3.7 AA @ 15 min. = 0.45 oz.
Styrian Golding 3.7 AA @ 5 min. - 0.35 oz.

OG = 1.073
SG @ Transfer = 1.007 (temperature corrected)
Apparent Attenuation = 90.4%

i'm giving this yeast a shot as well in a somewhat similar recipe to yours there. Went with 10-lbs of marris otter mashed @ 150 with a batch sparge,1-oz american fuggles @ 60 and another @ 10 minute mark, 2.5-lbs of home made candi sugar (yellow) put in @ 30 mins. OG was 1.072, boiled it june 9th. will be racking it into a keg in the morning and dumping the pale i made today on it;s yeast cake after it cools down (doing the no chill method as i don't have time atm) spent $7 for this packet of yeast and i've been getting bad packets from the LHBS so i'm definately going to have to keep SOMETHING on this strain.:ban:

I submitted my Belgian Golden Strong in my homebrew club's club competition and finished first. It yielded the classic Belgian yeast profile. It yields both the fruity and spicy. See my previous posts for the details of the procedures.

I think a key is to make sure you use classic Belgian fermentation temperatures. I started at 69F and let it free rise until it got to 78F and held it there for the rest of the primary fermentation. I cold crashed in the secondary,

I submitted my Belgian Golden Strong in my homebrew club's club competition and finished first. It yielded the classic Belgian yeast profile. It yields both the fruity and spicy. See my previous posts for the details of the procedures.

I think a key is to make sure you use classic Belgian fermentation temperatures. I started at 69F and let it free rise until it got to 78F and held it there for the rest of the primary fermentation. I cold crashed in the secondary,

How big was the krausen / blowoff? I've seen some impressively annoying messes from westmalle and chimay even at 69 internal temperature, is this one any different?
I'm waiting for a couple packets which I ordered to come in at my LHBS, and will be experimenting with Fermentis and Lallemand Abbaye, probably head-to-head in both a dry dubble and a tripple.

How big was the krausen / blowoff? I've seen some impressively annoying messes from westmalle and chimay even at 69 internal temperature, is this one any different?
I'm waiting for a couple packets which I ordered to come in at my LHBS, and will be experimenting with Fermentis and Lallemand Abbaye, probably head-to-head in both a dry dubble and a tripple.

Your going to get a decent amount of krausen when you use a Belgian yeast at the Belgian temperatures. I always use a blowoff tube when I make any of the Belgian strong ales.

Do you ferment in a bucket or a carboy. I always do the primary in a bucket and secondary in a carboy. Buckets have more head space.

I just drank the last of both my Belgian Dubbel and Belgian Blonde both fermented with Lallemand Abbaye. The dubbel was bottled in April 2015, and the blonde in June 2015, so they had about 7 to 9 months of age on them.

They both tasted great, and the flavors have evolved significantly since they were first bottled. Whereas I felt like the Abbaye was a little more spicy than the WLP500, with 6 months cellaring, the flavors achieve a great balance of fruity and spicy (with Abbaye, that is).

I always find myself lacking the patience to wait that long to drink it, but I really feel that almost any Belgian style beer will taste significantly better with at least 6 months of age on it (I age in my basement, which I keep in the mid 60s for most of the year).

I'm not sure about using Lallemand Abbaye for a Golden Strong, saison, etc, but I plan on using it from now on for any Trappist-style beers.

I just drank the last of both my Belgian Dubbel and Belgian Blonde both fermented with Lallemand Abbaye. The dubbel was bottled in April 2015, and the blonde in June 2015, so they had about 7 to 9 months of age on them.

They both tasted great, and the flavors have evolved significantly since they were first bottled. Whereas I felt like the Abbaye was a little more spicy than the WLP500, with 6 months cellaring, the flavors achieve a great balance of fruity and spicy (with Abbaye, that is).

I always find myself lacking the patience to wait that long to drink it, but I really feel that almost any Belgian style beer will taste significantly better with at least 6 months of age on it (I age in my basement, which I keep in the mid 60s for most of the year).

I'm not sure about using Lallemand Abbaye for a Golden Strong, saison, etc, but I plan on using it from now on for any Trappist-style beers.

I entered my Golden Strong brewed with Lallemand Abbaye. I got first place in our club competition. You always need to have patience with Belgian's.

Back