Lagunitas One Hitter Series Clones...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn_bird

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

So I have a deep love for 2 beers from Lagunitas's One Hitter Series this year.
The Waldos' 420 Special Ale and CitruSinensis Pale Ale....
I would absolutely love to try and clone these beers and can't seem to find a whole lot of info on them. I guess my question is, does anyone that has had these have any idea what the grain bill or hop profile might look like?

As far as the CitruSinensis goes, here are the givens from Lagunitas...
ABV 7.9%
Sanguinello Blood Oranges juiced and concentrated without heat

They said they put that into a wheatier version of the New Dogtown Pale Ale (which I also cant find a recipe for)

Also, the description at a craft beer establishment has this listed at 60 IBUs

Anyone have anything to add?

I recently went to a bar to try both of these beers but by the time I got there, the Waldos was kicked. I did try the Citrusinensis, though, and it was pretty damn good. The aroma was INTENSE, smelled it being poured from across the bar.

As for cloning it, maybe start with their IPA clone recipe and add in a good portion of wheat (maybe 20%ish??). For the hops, I wanna say it's gotta be mostly the new-ish more popular intense flavor/aroma hops: Citra, Amarillo, Galaxy, Mosaic etc. From what I recall, it tasted like it was mostly Citra.

I agree with you on the hops...has to be the more modern hops...I can almost guarantee the use of Amarillo in the hop bill, because after i had this I had a Double Dry Hopped Stone Ruination in which amarillo was the chosen dry hop.
It was very present in the aroma and I picked up a similar aroma in the CitruSinensis. So I do believe it is in there, but not by itself by any means. Citra definitely makes sense...I also got a hint of a pine like, resiny character.
A true citrus bomb which some critics say makes it one sided, but i believe that is what was intended. I may have to go back out there again today before it is gone forever. I cant find any bottles of it here, or I would scrap one in the name of beer science and let it de-gas to get the final gravity. Then use that and the ABV to estimate the starting gravity.

Well, since their website reports the Citrusinensis as being a wheatier version of their new dogtown pale ale with the addition of blood oranges, etc. I guess the next logical step on my day off would be to go buy a six pack of the new dogtown and see what i can learn...

Howdy guys, info from the source:
3 types of pale wheat, adding up around 30% of total grist. Remainder 2-Row.

Keep brewhouse additions simple:
-Clean bittering hop up to ~60 IBU
-0.2lb/bbl each in Flavor and Aroma additions. Keep these to old school varieties. Save the good stuff for Dry Hop.

Dry Hop:
-Only 2 varieties (which is low for Lagunitas). Up around 1.5lb/bbl. Won't say which, but think Orange and Citrus and look at what was used in the Born Yesterday to determine the rest...

Cheers!

Thanks! I was surprised that no one else responded...I recently took 2 stabs at citrusinensis in small batches and bottled them last week.
Based on what you said, I'll need to make some adjustments and add more wheat, but the taste at bottling was promising nevertheless.

Thanks! I was surprised that no one else responded...I recently took 2 stabs at citrusinensis in small batches and bottled them last week.
Based on what you said, I'll need to make some adjustments and add more wheat, but the taste at bottling was promising nevertheless.

How did you go about adding the blood orange? I'm getting ready to take a stab at this myself, but all the research I've done makes it sound like adding blood orange juice directly at the end of the boil is going to result in something less than appetizing.

How did you go about adding the blood orange? I'm getting ready to take a stab at this myself, but all the research I've done makes it sound like adding blood orange juice directly at the end of the boil is going to result in something less than appetizing.
Resurrecting this, hopefully. I'd add the blood orange juice near the end of primary fermentation, that way the boil won't destroy a lot of the aromatics. As long as your sanitation is good the risk of infection should be minimal. I did the same on a saison I just did with Mandarin oranges. I just sanitized everything that would come into contact with the oranges, including the oranges themselves.

On that note, I really hope someone finds a decent recipe for Waldos' Special Ale. Just tried it last week and love it.

I just had the Waldos Special Ale yesterday! I don't think it is quite as good as last year, but it's still an excellent beer.
Maybe someone that lives near the brewery can get a ballpark recipe this year....

Bitter oats and Waldo's have been my favorite beers from them this year. clone recipes would be greatly appreciated!

Back