Lagering Schedule and Lagering While Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamos6928

Reaction score
I received a used keg for Christmas and I was wondering how well it would work if I lagered in the keg while carbonating. My fermentation schedule is: start at 52 F, then ramp up temp. to 66F no more than 3 degrees a day after fermentation slows and hold at 66F for one week. Then drop temp down to 35 F going no more than 5 degrees a day and hold for one week. Then I plan to rack to my keg and lager while carbonating at the same time. I plan to leave the keg in the fridge for at least three weeks before serving. My questions are:

How much pressure should I have on the keg while lagering?

Should I keep constant CO2 on the keg?

Will this method work out OK?

Does this schedule seem OK for lagers?

Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I just did a similar schedule for my first lager except I bottled and they have been lagering ever since. I didn’t take so long to drop to 35° though, I just dropped it about 5° an hour until I hit 35° and let er cold crash for 7 days. I think it turned out excellent

With lagers the best thing to do is go by gravity.

When you're about 75% of the way to your FG (ex: OG of 1.050 and FG of 1.010, 1.020 is your magic point), let it *free rise* to the mid-upper 60s and sit there until it's done and diacetyl-free.

I would rack to a keg then, put it under your carb pressure (probably 10-12 PSI depending on your temp and desired carb level) and THEN start your temp drop.

With lagers the best thing to do is go by gravity.

I've found that it doesn't really make much difference. When I first started lagering I would always try to dictate temp changes by gravity. Then I got lazy and and now I do it between 7-10 days. I've never had diacetyl in my lagers. I did just get a tilt for xmas, so I may change my practices.:rock:

Then drop temp down to 35 F going no more than 5 degrees a day and hold for one week. Then I plan to rack to my keg and lager while carbonating at the same time. I plan to leave the keg in the fridge for at least three weeks before serving. My questions are:

But I do agree with Qhrumphf in that you should cold crash in the keg while carbing at serving pressure. This past season's Oktoberfest was brewed in April, fermented at 50F for 8 days -> 65F for 7 days -> kegged and into the kegerator at 38F until the official tapping in Munich (I think it was Sept. 21st this year). So 5 months attached to 12.5 psi at 38F without being touched, and it was probably one of my best beers. There is no need to over complicate things because it's a lager...

I appreciate all the input. I just thought that cold crashing prior to kegging might keep some of the "junk" out of my keg but I will try it this way and see what happens.

Back