Lagering Munich Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MW66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did a Helles this past weekend and plan to ferment for 2 weeks, rest for 2 days, and then lager. I made this for my FIL who will not be in town until the beginning of August. If I lager close to 34F, will it keep that long without any significant drop off in flavor? I was planning to lager in my keg until about 2/3 weeks before he arrives. Then, throw in my keezer to carbonate. My OG is 1.050.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Your plan is fine. The extra time in the cold will only make it more clean and mellow.

How are you going to keep oxygen out of the keg if there is no co2 pressure?

How are you going to keep oxygen out of the keg if there is no co2 pressure?

I believe that would be the function of lid o-ring. I purge them well, but don't keep my kegs hooked up to gas while lagering.

My process is to hit it with 10 psi just to seal the lid and then put into my fermentation freezer w/temp controller. I also backfill with CO2 before I transfer so that keeps oxidation to a minimum.

I believe that would be the function of lid o-ring. I purge them well, but don't keep my kegs hooked up to gas while lagering.

I never do either. When I rack to a keg, I blast with CO and purge. Lager for two months. Never had an issue.

That's not entirely true. I have a keg that I just tapped. A few days before I went to drink, I put keg on gas to carb. Before I added gas, I checked to see what gas if left after two months of lagering. This particular keg I noticed was the purge pin was left up and air has been able to get in all this time. Not good, but when I pulled a few pints, it seemed to be fine. I need to be a little more careful.

Sure hope your temps don't fluctuate at all. Otherwise you will draw in oxygen-if it's not pressurized. The o ring won't seat without pressure. You need to total carbonate before you let them sit. Otherwise co2 will dissolve in beer and the headspace will replace with air.

Pressurize the keg with CO2 before lagering as people here are hinting.

It looks like you are assuming that fermentation will be complete in 2 weeks. Check and make sure. Sometimes fermentation can be slow. when you do the diacetyl rest (at 60 F I assume) it could even kick up a bit. Nothng to worry about, but be patient. Especially since you have a long time.

Back