Lagering in freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamH

Reaction score
I just got a free fridge (yay!) and plan on hooking up the stc1000 controller to it this weekend. I've been wanting to lager for a while, but I'm a little hesitant to do so because of A) the wait, and B) there are some ales I'd love to brew at the same time.

My fridge is a freezer on bottom fridge. The way it works is the cold air collects in the freezer, then a fan blows it up into the fridge. One thought I had was fermenting my lager in the fridge at typcial lager temps (about 50F), then lowering it to the freezer for the lagering phase while I simultaneously increase the temperature in the fridge to an ale temp so I can ferment ales while my lager is lagering.

Does anyone have any idea how much cooler a freezer will stay than a fridge if the temp controller's thermometer is placed in the fridge? I obviously don't want to freeze my beer, but I also want to hit that 35F mark if I can. I guess I may just have to hook this up myself to figure it out, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has experience with a similar setup who could give me some tips.

Thanks!

I'm jealous. Been wanting to find a freezer bottom fridge for a dry cure chamber conversion.
I think you're not going to be able to pull of what you want without a sophisticated way to control the fan that blows the cold air into the upper chamber. A single STC isn't going to do it I don't think. In the latest issue of zymurgy or BYO, there is an ad for a device that lets you supposedly lager in a carboy. Might be an easier route, though I don't know anything about it. Looks like a cube sitting on top on the carboy.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407355101.619097.jpg

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

There shouldn't be a great difference. I leave my probe dangle :)D) so it measures the warmest material in the keezer, the air. That way everything else (more dense) should be colder.

You could probably get away with a single controller for the fan, IF the main control sensor is in the freezer, AND you can set the freezer temp where you want it (35, if it will go 'that high'), then use the controller for the fridge fan.

An alternative with no extra controller would be to set the freezer, and partially block the fan to the fridge. With some adjusting you should be able to hit it pretty close.

If the sensor is in the fridge, 1 controller sensing the freezer and a second for the fan, or as above, manually blocking the fan.

I'm jealous. Been wanting to find a freezer bottom fridge for a dry cure chamber conversion.
I think you're not going to be able to pull of what you want without a sophisticated way to control the fan that blows the cold air into the upper chamber. A single STC isn't going to do it I don't think. In the latest issue of zymurgy or BYO, there is an ad for a device that lets you supposedly lager in a carboy. Might be an easier route, though I don't know anything about it. Looks like a cube sitting on top on the carboy.

View attachment 215999

TD

That's wild. What happens when you get an overactive fermentation that requires a blowoff tube?

jleii, I love the tips. Thanks! For some reason I hadn't thought of setting the control sensor in the freezer. I suppose I could move it all around the unit. Perhaps the thing to do would be have the sensor in the fridge during primary, move it into the freezer for lagering, and then like you said, restrict the cold air flow to the fridge so it can reach ale temps.

Man... I've gotta have a brew day asap to test this. Any excuse to brew!

That's wild. What happens when you get an overactive fermentation that requires a blowoff tube?
Seems to me like you wouldn't have to worry about a blowoff tube while lagering. My understanding is that lager yeasts work pretty slowly, right?

I think you're supposed to use the thing for lagering/cold conditioning only, not for primary fermentation, but I really don't know. Just looks like it probably relatively inexpensive and easy compared to fiddling with a fridge/freezer and trying to get control of both compartments.

TD

It makes a mess??

I checked out their website, and they have different options for various carboys & buckets, and they've addressed the blowoff tube. It is intended for fermentation, drest and lagering.
However their solution for it making a mess is to 'just wipe it off'. I suspect the promo picture does not have the adapter in place for the carboy.
The unit is $299 (pre-sale) plus the adapters and an insulated jacket (hence the wipe it off comment).

Cool idea, but pretty pricey. My 4 chamber cabinet, DIY glycol chiller and all it's parts was less than $200.

I saw that thing and spoke with the owners @ the NHC this year. Its pretty neat, but expensive. I bought an "almost new" upright freezer and temp controller for 200$ this summer. 20 gal fermentation chamber > expensive gaget that only controls 5 gal beer. Also, it wont work with glass carboys. At least that is what they told us...

Good points. I wonder if its possible to alter the appliance temp set points without a temp controller? This may be advantageous. My freezer is set at either zero or minus 4. My fridge is at about 35. That is nearly the same temp swing for a lagering chamber and an ale fermentation chamber. That would be the way to go, if could find a way to do it.

TD

That's pricier than I suspected.

Show us this fermentation chamber of which you speak please!

TD

The fermentation cabinet is below, and you can read all about the glycol system here.
On hindsight, it may be closer to $250 or a little more.

FermCab.jpg

Back