Lagering cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cposten

Reaction score
Am making a couple different batches of my "proven" "decent" cider recipe but with different yeasts. 2 are using lager yeasts but I was wondering if lagering a cider has any effect or am I just waste time (and thus valuable carboy space.) thanks for the time if you cider makers out there.

I think there is no clear benefit or difference in taste.
Maybe it is a cleaner drink.

Lagering produces a much cleaner tasting drink and let's more developed flavor come out. Don't see why you couldn't get a better cider from lagering let us know how it comes out.

Can you please describe your lagering process? I am planning to do a lager cider but it is more likely to be a long cold ferment all the way through using Saflager s-23. Cheers.

If by lagering you mean a low-temp, longer ferment, then most cidermakers would agree that it is beneficial. A cleaner, smoother cider with less 'heat' and more apple flavors are the commonly accepted results.

Be aware though. Many 'lager' yeasts, though flavorful, often result in a hazy cider that takes more time to drop clear than ale of wine yeasts.

Fossey said:
Can you please describe your lagering process? I am planning to do a lager cider but it is more likely to be a long cold ferment all the way through using Saflager s-23. Cheers.

When ferm starts I lower my fridge to a couple degrees above min recommended yeast temp until ferm is done. Then raise the temp to about 62 for a couple days. After that I lower the temp around 5 degrees a day until it gets to 35F and let it sit for weeks. Usually at least 6 but some I've gone longer, never more than 3 months tho.

Only done it with beer, never tried with cider. Will definitely let you know how it goes.

I'm excited to hear about the results of your experiment. :) I've been toying around with the idea of making a "cider lager" for a while. The only reason I haven't yet is because I figured a "fruity" ale yeast would be more beneficial to a fruit-based beverage. I bet a nice "crisp" lager cider would be mighty refreshing though.

hunter_la5 said:
I'm excited to hear about the results of your experiment. :) I've been toying around with the idea of making a "cider lager" for a while. The only reason I haven't yet is because I figured a "fruity" ale yeast would be more beneficial to a fruit-based beverage. I bet a nice "crisp" lager cider would be mighty refreshing though.

Yea I was thinking the same but got a free gallon of cider and figured why not give it a shot. Process is under way and ill let you know how it turns out.

I am planning to lager my next batch of Edwort's Apfelwein as well. Mainly due to not wanting the sulphur odors inside the house.

Basically, I will start it in the house in my sauna where it's a steady 18c, then when it starts to stink I will move the demijohn to my dark cellar which is a steady 13c pretty much year round. Since the cellar is solid concrete walls and floor with a heavy foam insulated ceiling, smells can not escape into the house.

I just did a 5 litre batch at 18c and it finished in exactly 7 days - just bottled, taste is amazing. Might go a blt slower there in the cellar, but the plan is to let it stay there for a month.

podz said:
I am planning to lager my next batch of Edwort's Apfelwein as well. Mainly due to not wanting the sulphur odors inside the house.

Basically, I will start it in the house in my sauna where it's a steady 18c, then when it starts to stink I will move the demijohn to my dark cellar which is a steady 13c pretty much year round. Since the cellar is solid concrete walls and floor with a heavy foam insulated ceiling, smells can not escape into the house.

I just did a 5 litre batch at 18c and it finished in exactly 7 days - just bottled, taste is amazing. Might go a blt slower there in the cellar, but the plan is to let it stay there for a month.

I pitched on June 3. A 6 gallon batch which has been at 11 C (52 F), in my converted freezer. The bubbles are tiny but plentiful.

Recipe was just 6 gallons (24L) juice, 1 cup chopped raisins and 2.5lb (1.25kg) dextrose. Saflager S-23 yeast.

This one's in for the long haul...

Look forward to hearing the results. Please post here so ill get that little notice. I'm about 3 weeks away from my target tasting at 6 weeks. Will post when.

Forgot all about this thread. Gave it a nice long ferm at around 54ºF. After it was at tue right gravity i gave it a gquick 1 day 62 break and then dropped about 5ºF a day till i got to 35. Let her sit there for about a month and a half. Long story short, the besy cider ive ever made. Wish i did this earlier so i did have only a gallon less. Going to be my regular practice this coming cider season

I half forgot about my brew! Well its been in the back of my mind but haven't made the time to bottle... Its been in cold ferment for 9 months now... I'll get to it soon - maybe... Only just managed to bottle a 1 gallon brew I started in September...

Latest posts

Back