Lager yeast - type mixing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudland

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm prepping to make a Bavarian Dark Lager. The original recipe calls out Wyeast #2308 but I cant get it soon enough. I have 2 types of yeast on hand:
Saflager S-23 & W-34/70.

I've read that W-34/70 seems to be the preferred yeast between the 2 as the S-23 has been said to leave a "fruity" taste and may be better suited for ale beers.

I don't want a heavy fruity flavor.

So here's my questions:
Can I rehydrate each pack separately then pitch them together into the fermenter?

I'm wondering what flavoring a mix would impart in the beer.
In the meantime, I'm doing research on each yeasts desired fermenting temperature.

Also, how long after the date on the package is the yeast actually good for?

Thanks!
Adam

Anyone have thoughts or experience with this? Thanks!

I would definitely use W-34/70 for this. It's the prototypical lager yeast. I prefer to ferment 50-52 F with this strain.

You can certainly rehydrate both and pitch both, but I would not mix the two yeast strains. If you are doing a Schwarzbier, it needs to be very clean. I do not think S-23 is good for that. Just pitch multiple sachets (probably 2) of W-34/70 into the wort after rehydration.

I can't remember the shelf-life of dry yeast, but it keeps for a while if it's at cool temperatures.

Thanks for the reply!

I prefer to ferment 50-52 F with this strain.

The recipe I'm trying to follow spells out a different fermenting/ageing profile. See attachement.

You can certainly rehydrate both and pitch both, but I would not mix the two yeast strains. If you are doing a Schwarzbier, it needs to be very clean. I do not think S-23 is good for that. Just pitch multiple sachets (probably 2) of W-34/70 into the wort after rehydration.

While the recipe doesnt call it a "Schwarzbier".... I guess the recipe fits it???
I will use the W-34/70 strain! See attachement.

I can't remember the shelf-life of dry yeast, but it keeps for a while if it's at cool temperatures.

It's been in my 40* fridge since I bought it this past weekend, the date on the package says 9/2014 for the W-34/70 and 10/2014 for the S-23.

Thanks!
Adam

Ageing profile.jpg

Recipe.jpg

Back