Lager substitute???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capt82

Reaction score
I'm new to all grain brewing. I've done a couple IPA's now and looking for a new brew. I'm looking to do a lager "like" beer but I don't have a chiller to ferment in yet.

Any thoughts on beer type or recipe I could make that resembles a lager without having to lager?

I'm new to all grain brewing. I've done a couple IPA's now and looking for a new brew. I'm looking to do a lager "like" beer but I don't have a chiller to ferment in yet.

Any thoughts on beer type or recipe I could make that resembles a lager without having to lager?

The yeast and the fermentation temperature profile are the biggest factors to consider to get what you are seeking.

Can you control a ferment in the mid-upper 50's? If so, Nottingham dry yeast pitched and maintained at 55-57*F through the first 3-5 days of fermentation (until it begins to slow down, then you can let it come up to finish around 65*F) is about as close as I've tasted to lager-like with an ale yeast. I did an Albier last fall this way and it was very clean tasting.

Have you tried Wyeast Kolsch 2565 yeast? You can get lager like beer at ale conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Have you tried Wyeast Kolsch 2565 yeast? You can get lager like beer at ale conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've tried a few home brews that others did using kolsh yeast. I wouldn't describe any of them as being lager-like. Not nearly as clean and crisp as a well-done lager. Supposedly, they were done in the low to mid-60's.

Even 50's isn't possible where I'm from in so cal. I'm running my ac this week to keep house to 72. Until I get a dedicated lager fridge, I'm fermenting at warm temps.

I think I like the Steam Beer idea. Thanks bajaedition

1. get a 3 dollar fermometer sticker thing and stick it 3/4 the way up your fermenter.

2. get a cheapo round, plastic laundry tub and put your fermenter in it.

3. fill the tub with water, but not touching your fermometer.

4. put a couple frozen water bottles in the tub and swap them out as necessary.

do this, and I'm sure you can ferment in the upper 50's-low 60's. :mug:

I did my hybrid lagers pb/pm biab with grains & hops typically found in lagers or pilsners. I fermented them with WL029 kolsh yeast at 65-69F,the sweet spot of the yeast. 3-4 weeks room temp carb & condition,with 2 weeks fridge time. Served cold,they had a nice crispness on the back with lager-like flavor balance.

You could try an Altbier with WY1007. It does like 55-60, so you would need to use a swamp cooler plus ice bottles. Last September I did two, and my environmental temps were in the mid 70's-low 80's. Worked well, and those were two of the best batches I've made yet. Think Oktoberfest with a little extra Noble hop flavor/aroma. Yum! :mug:

Did a recent hybrid-lager with Cry Havoc at average of around 58 in the basement and got the subjective 'Crisp' flavor and mouth feel I was looking for. If you don't have great temperature controls, but you do have a relatively cool corner to work with, Cry Havoc was solid. I'm planning on using it again.

Latest posts

Back