Lager starter pitching schedule - help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerGrylls

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is a beginner question - hence the forum choice. I want to know your opinion on what to do with a tight starter / pitching schedule.

I need to brew a lager this weekend, Jamil's munich dunkel from 'brewing classic styles' for which I picked up a smack pack of wyeast 2308 munich lager. I made a 1.045 starter, with 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient, 1600ml, 30s of pure o2, Thursday 2/27 around noon. It's been on the stir plate since. The smack pack itself was dated 9/4/2013 (damn you, LHBS) so according to brewsmith has only 24.66% viability.

I have the choice of Saturday or Sunday to brew. The beer is 1.054, and I have full fermentation temp control. I'd prefer to brew on Saturday because the weather will be better. By Saturday when my brew is finished, that would be 48h on the stir plate. So I'm wondering, should I try to quick crash my 1600 ml starter tonight (after 36h or so), decant, and then get it going on a second starter wort to brew on Sunday? I don't have a flask larger than 2000ml. I know this isn't optimal, but I am at a loss for what's better.

After cold crashing you can see how much yeast you have after 48hrs. You might be suprised. But I would be prepared to go dry yeast or more liquid yeast.

I've had a starter going since Wednesday.

For your lager you will need a LOT more yeast. Mrmalty says that you need 7 packs of that date and a 5.5 liter starter.

I suggest new yeast or step it up and brew NEXT weekend.

Mrmalty says 2 packs of fresh dry yeast. I would rehydrate the yeast though.

Since your time is limited, your idea of crash cooling tonight and decanting tomorrow and then re-pitching to a fresh starter may work for you. Just let the new starter stir at room temperature all day tomorrow and then cool it to fermentation temperature over saturday night. Then let it continue on the stir plate until your ready to pitch it in your beer. Pitch the whole starter and don't decant it. You may be able to keep your wort sealed and let the second starter go until later sunday before pitching to allow for some extra growth time.

Otherwise, you will need some fresher yeast and new starter or 2 packs dry rehydrated yeast

thanks all. I didn't realize I'd be in such dire shape with my starter until it was too late. It sounds like I ought to pick up a couple packs of dry yeast and proof.

thanks all. I didn't realize I'd be in such dire shape with my starter until it was too late. It sounds like I ought to pick up a couple packs of dry yeast and proof.

You need not "proof" dry yeast. Simply rehydrate the two packs and pitch.

When using a stir plate to make a starter, you've accomplished the reproductive task by about 18-20 hours. Leaving a starter on the plate past 24 hours doesn't help.

When using a stir plate to make a starter, you've accomplished the reproductive task by about 18-20 hours. Leaving a starter on the plate past 24 hours doesn't help.

I think by "proof" he means rehydrating. I have seen rehydrating described that way quite often.

18 - 20 hours is good - if the yeast is fresh and the starter actually does "start" right away. I have almost always done about 18 hours with a fresh pack/vial. Or step starters from frozen samples.

Why are you leaving it for so long on a stirplate? I don't think I've ever seen a starter on stir plate not be done with sugar in 20 hours, absolute max.

Yes by proof, I just mean it looks alive when I rehydrate.

Why are you leaving it for so long on a stirplate? I don't think I've ever seen a starter on stir plate not be done with sugar in 20 hours, absolute max.

Open to suggestions! Thanks! For lack of a more solid plan, I pulled my starter off the plate and stuck it in the fridge to crash. In the a.m., I'll decant and do a second stage as large as I can, to prep for a Sunday brew.

I'm the same boat it seems. I got a box lot of recently expired liquid yeast off Ebay. So far of the 40 packs, 2 out of 5 took off with no problem, the other three I re-pitched with dry yeast. My last trip to LHBS I picked up 12 packs of dry yeast...

I see your in Beverly, Mass. My son was at Endicott. I enjoyed the lobster while visiting him!

I'm the same boat it seems. I got a box lot of recently expired liquid yeast off Ebay. So far of the 40 packs, 2 out of 5 took off with no problem, the other three I re-pitched with dry yeast. My last trip to LHBS I picked up 12 packs of dry yeast...

I see your in Beverly, Mass. My son was at Endicott. I enjoyed the lobster while visiting him!

Wyeast states their packs are 'good for six months from the package date' but I'm amazed how much the viability drops in such a short time. I'll probably dump a couple packs of dry yeast in with my starter yeast and take this as a learning experience.

Yes! I love being in Beverly, close to the ocean, beaches, and the seafood is fantastic. Plus the train runs into Boston. Fun trivia: this is the birthplace of the Navy, President Taft vacationed here, and Beverly Hills, CA is named after it.

Latest posts

Back