Lager Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPal75

Reaction score
So I've been looking around on the boards and seen several different opinions on lager fermentation process but none I could easily say won out as the favorite. So I figured I would post again here and try to get a vote for which process people prefer. Let's assume that a diacetyl rest is necessary.

1) Pitch at 50 and ferment until 80% complete. Bring temp up to 60 for 3-4 days and then slowly bring down to lager temps over the next 3-4 days. Lager for 30+ days.

2) Pitch at 50 and ferment until 80% complete. Bring temp up to 60 and let beer sit in primary for 2-3 weeks. Bring down to lager temps and lager for 30+ days.

3) Pitch at 50 and ferment until 80% complete. Bring up to 60 for 3-4 days and then bring back down to 50 for 2-3 weeks. Bring down to lager temps and lager for 30+ days.

I typically follow schedule #1, but I find in that scenario my beer typically is only in primary for about 2 weeks before I transfer to my lagering vessel. This always feels wrong to me because I, like many here, prefer to leave my ales in primary for at least 3 weeks before taking the beer off the yeast, to make sure any and all off-flavors are cleared.

My lagers have always turned out fine, and I'm sure it's just me be obsessive, but I have wondered if I left it on the yeast longer would be even better. Thoughts?

I've always done schedule #1 as well. Depending on the yeast I'll pitch as low as 45 degrees, just depends on the strain and how big of a starter I have. And even though I know I'm supposed to slowly lower the temperature, I never do. After primary is done, I pull the bucket out of the chamber, drop the temp to 32, and rack from the primary to a keg. Then put the keg in the chamber and let it free fall. Between the large volume of lager and the considerably larger air volume in the freezer, it usually takes a couple of days to get there anyway.

Back