Lager Recipe = SMaSH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dog_42

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I went to my LHBS for a lager recipe and got a recipe that calls for 97.7% pale ale malt (I'm assuming 2-row) and 2.3% Cara Pils. The recipe only uses one type of hop (for bittering and aroma), so I'm wondering if I essentially made a SMaSH.

I don't want to post the whole recipe because I know the LHBS doesn't post recipes online but I was wondering how much flavor the Cara Pils will actually add.

(For a quick example if you don't like percentages, if I had 10 lbs of grain total, 9.75 lbs would be pale ale malt and .25 lbs would be Cara Pils.)

Are you trying for a typical BMC light lager? If yes, I think you really want to cut that recipe with about 30-40% white rice or flaked corn. The 97.7% two-row is going to make this closer to a lightly bittered APA than what most would call a lager.

TopherM said:
Are you trying for a typical BMC light lager? If yes, I think you really want to cut that recipe with about 30-40% white rice or flaked corn. The 97.7% two-row is going to make this closer to a lightly bittered APA than what most would call a lager.

I wasn't looking to do something this light but once I bought the recipe, I figured I might as well brew it. I was looking more for a Great Lakes Brewery dortmunder. Well see how it goes. Thanks all for the input...I figured that little of cara pils wouldn't do much.

This is not an APA due to yeast. Seems to be in the Dortmunder range depending on gravity and hop choice. Really should use pilsner malt for these lagers but it probably will be fine.
From the BJCP:
Dortmunder
OG 1.048-1.056
FG 1.01-1.015
IBUs 23-30
ABV 4.8-6%
SRM 4-6

Ingredients:
Minerally water with high levels of sulfates, carbonates and chlorides, German or Czech noble hops, Pilsner malt, German lager yeast.

Back