Lager reassurance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ram5ey

Reaction score
I've got a schwarzbier in the fermentor. It's been there about 9 days now and I'm just checking for some reassurance. I'm rather inexperienced with lager beers but the ferment seemed to be going well for about a week of solid bubbling but now had stopped and its at 1.020. This is an all grain brew f the BCS Schwarzbier. I pitched a 3L starter made with two vials of wlp833 at 47 and fermented at 50.

So does anyone think it's still going even though all signs have stopped? Or will it probably drop the extra 7 or so points without much help? I don't need it to be done and I have no probablem leaving it in there for as much time as it needs, but I just want to know what to expect when I go though my ferments. Thanks for the help.

+1 on raising temp for diacetyl rest. How many days has it been at 1.020? And remember, lack of bubbles doesn't mean it's not still fermenting.

Brew on :mug:

Not sure how long it's been at 1.020. I'll check it tomorrow. I did start to raise the temp today so we will see...

Are you sure the airlock isn't still going? Near the end of fermentation, my lagers start bubbling really slowly, 1 bubble every 3 or 4 minutes, for example.

As others have said, you can raise the temp to 65 or so to finish the fermentation with no ill effects.

Are you sure the airlock isn't still going? Near the end of fermentation, my lagers start bubbling really slowly, 1 bubble every 3 or 4 minutes, for example.

As others have said, you can raise the temp to 65 or so to finish the fermentation with no ill effects.

I think this might have been it...but I will check in a couple days on the gravity. Like I said...noob at lagers.

Back