Lager Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGillette10

Reaction score
I've never done a lager before and I'd really love to do one. My question is regarding ambient versus beer/fermenter temps. I've read that there's often a differences of roughly 5 degrees. I usually keep the keezer at around 40 degrees. I'm thinking I could use the Wyeast Bohemian strain (45-55) fermentation range. I know I'll have to make a starter. But it seems like I could use the keezer at 40 as a means to ferment and then lager, assuming 40 is not too cold for fermenting and not too hot for lagering. Anyone have experience with that particular strain?

If this won't work, then I might trying a california lager with a water/ice bath.

I haven't used that strain but the way I ferment in my cold box which is around 40F also, is to use an STC1000 controller and FermWrap around the fermenter. This way I can ferment at a slightly higher temp than the cold box without effecting the other kegs.

Back