Lager fermantation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyRaygun

Reaction score
I'm using Saflager W-34/70 lager yeast by Fermentis. I will be using a primary and secondary fermenter. I was told lagers need to to ferment in temperatures as low as 34° which is fine.

However, as I read the instructions for this particular yeast, it says it's best to ferment at temperatures between 48.2° and 59°, ideally 53.6°. From what I'm told, the recommended temperature from Fermentis seems high. Assuming Fermentis knows their product best, do I simply ferment at 53.6°?

Most lagers are fermented at 48-52 degrees. Then, after the fermentation period is over, they are racked and conditioned ("lagered") at 34 degrees for 8 weeks or so.

I'd go with 52 degrees for that strain.

If this were me, I would chill the wort to about 48F, aerate the crap out of it and pitch your re-hydrated yeast at about 48F. Then let it warm to about 50F-52F and hold the temp there. You should see fermentation start in about 24-48 hours or sooner. Then hold that temp for about 14 days and then let the temperature rise to about 60F for a diacetyl rest. Hold the warm temperature for about a week or until you can't taste any more diacetyl. Then transfer to a keg or secondary and lager at about 34F for 1-2 months. I've haven't seen lagers that ferment at 34F, but 34F is the lagering temp to use after fermentation. The beer should be on the yeast for about 3-4 weeks before moving to secondary and lagering IMO.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Very helpful. I think where I was getting the 34° from was with the lagering. So I guess thats where I was confused.

So does that mean I can't drink the beer for two months after kegging if I lager in there? If so, do I carbonate the keg while lagering!

Back