lag time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatgerm

Reaction score
My lag times seem to always be about 48 hours, no matter what I do. I used a starter this time and aerated the wort in the primary. I got the lag down to about 36 hours. :ban::ban::ban:

I'm not really concerned about it because all 4 batches have turned out great so far, but I'm interested in what other people's average lag times are. Just curious.

With the current batch I'm on, I had an extremely fast ferment - started within hours of pitching the yeast, but I know that the lag can depend on a large number of factors including the kind of yeast you are using, the ambient temperature during the ferment, how well the wort was aerated, and other factors.

Pitching an active starter - usually about 4 hours. Direct pitching dry yeast - about 12

1st brew (smack pack California Lager)~72 hours.
2nd brew (w/ 1000ml starter) ~4-5 hours.
3rd brew (dry Nottinghams) ~?? Not yet, but it is 24 hours since pitch.

EDIT-- None of these have been what is probably considered properly aerated, they had just been filtered into carboys and slightly shaken only.

Pitching an active starter - usually about 4 hours. Direct pitching dry yeast - about 12

I have to disagree...on my current batch I used a dry yeast straight from the packet and it began fermentation (establishment of krausen and air lock movement) within less than 6 hours. Again, I think it all depends on a variety of factors...

I only have 3 solo batches under my belt:

First batch, dry yeast 8-10 your until air lock activity (1 bubble every 5 seconds)
Second batch, dry yeast, 72 hours for significant airlock activity (more than 2 bubbles per minute)
Third batch, smack pack with 4 hours swell time, no activity after 20 hours so far.

On average for "Me" liquid yeast has karusen the next morning. Dry yeast around 12-24 hr.
Even yeast I received direct from the brewery took 6-8 hrs and then it was rocking.

My very first beer I used a smack pack (lager yeast) shipped via Canada Post in 30+ celcius weather. I never got any activity out of that one, so I am a little nervous about using smack packs again. All of my subsequent batches I have used dry yeast and have had lag times anywhere between 6 and 36 hours.

The local "make your own wine" store owner is putting in an order from Wyeast and asked me if I wanted to piggyback on his order.....naturally I said yes and now I will have two smack packs of Wyeast 2112 for some California Common next weekend :rockin:

Eric

My very first beer I used a smack pack (lager yeast) shipped via Canada Post in 30+ celcius weather. I never got any activity out of that one, so I am a little nervous about using smack packs again. All of my subsequent batches I have used dry yeast and have had lag times anywhere between 6 and 36 hours.

The local "make your own wine" store owner is putting in an order from Wyeast and asked me if I wanted to piggyback on his order.....naturally I said yes and now I will have two smack packs of Wyeast 2112 for some California Common next weekend :rockin:

Eric

How was it shipped? I got once recently in Ottawa and it was from an Ontario online brew store and it was packaged in a insulated bag with a ice pack, all inside my order box.

6-12 hours is typical for my beers. I typically pitch an appropriately sized decanted starter that had been chilled and then brought up to room temp before pitching. I also pitch cold (about 62 for most ales).

6-12 hours is typical for my beers. I typically pitch an appropriately sized decanted starter that had been chilled and then brought up to room temp before pitching. I also pitch cold (about 62 for most ales).

That's pretty much exactly what i did this time around, except that I pitched while the starter was at 57F into a 65F wort. I saw krausen at about 20 hours, but no airlock activity until about 36 hours.

Latest posts

Back