Ladle Suggestions for Decoction Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolinaMatt

Reaction score
Hi All-

Brewing an Oktoberfest in the next few weekends. I've read/saw that a few people use a 32 oz. graduated ladle/dipper when pulling the grains for decoction mash. Before buying one off amazon for $13 thought I'd see if there are any other suggestions of things to use that others have enjoyed/had success.

Surprised me that I have yet to find anything cheaper. Some restaurant stores have them, but shipping is outrageous. Any suggestions also of a ladle that you have found for cheap would be awesome.

Thanks!

I use a soup ladle from the kitchen. Not sure why one would need a fancy graduated one. After all, If you are scooping out a certain volume, you are generally ladling it into a kettle with a known volume. My decoction BK is a 5 qt pot and when I fill it 3/4 full I know I have about the 3 qts that I want. Have done it many times, so I know that a decoction of that size will raise my mash temp by the 7-8 degrees that I'm looking for.

I was looking at these the other day after doing a decoction with a pyrex measuring cup. Interested in hearing what the responses here are. Mind posting a link to the one you're looking at on amazon?

I was looking at these the other day after doing a decoction with a pyrex measuring cup. Interested in hearing what the responses here are. Mind posting a link to the one you're looking at on amazon?

Ladle/dipper -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064ODD82/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This was one option I also thought of -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CI6Z8U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Feel I'd prefer having the long handle, but I guess the measuring pitcher wouldn't be terrible

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a soup ladle from the kitchen. Not sure why one would need a fancy graduated one. After all, If you are scooping out a certain volume, you are generally ladling it into a kettle with a known volume. My decoction BK is a 5 qt pot and when I fill it 3/4 full I know I have about the 3 qts that I want. Have done it many times, so I know that a decoction of that size will raise my mash temp by the 7-8 degrees that I'm looking for.
Guess the graduated part isn't the most important, but I definitely want something that can hold 32 ounces or more so I'm not spending forever with a small soup ladle.

btw...how did the pyrex work out for you?

I use a gallon cooking pot with a (long) handle and scoop deep, then pour the liquid off the top before transferring the thicker part. If I still feel I've been getting too much wort, I strain the last scoop or 2 a bit over a colander.

You could use a smaller (sauce)pan.

btw...how did the pyrex work out for you?
It was OK for me, might work better for others. My mash tun is a round stainless steel cooler with a 6" round opening at the top. (I had looked at that graduated ladle before, I don't think it will fit into my mash tun.) So, a 1c pyrex measuring cup full of mash doesn't fit through the opening well when holding it. With a more typical cooler mash tun that has a large opening at the top one of the larger pyrex measuring cups would probably work fine.

I also use these pots a lot:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VZJCI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E2PO7/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

(you can find the smaller one for less without the lid)

They aren't close to fitting in my mash tun, but I use them for vourlauf and around the kitchen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back