Lactose to save the beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marchio-93

Reaction score
Good evening,
I brewed a session ipa OG 1.039, but unfortunately, by mistaking the mash temperature, it had an FG of 1.005. Tasting it, it is completely without body, the bitterness (BU: GU 0.77) is not at all balanced, too dry and there are no points of density to give it the right body to bear the bitterness.
Tomorrow I should bottle, can I add lactose with priming sugar to add 3-4 gravity points? Will that help?

If all you want is body, you can add maltodextrin powder (boiled and cooled). It adds body with no flavor. Should be able to find it at any decent homebrew shop. If you want to counter the bitterness and add body, do a little maltodextrin and a little lactose. How much is hard to say. Most would advise boiling and cooling a half pond of each and adding a measured amount to small samples until you find the right amount of each and scale it up.

If all you want is body, you can add maltodextrin powder (boiled and cooled). It adds body with no flavor. Should be able to find it at any decent homebrew shop. If you want to counter the bitterness and add body, do a little maltodextrin and a little lactose. How much is hard to say. Most would advise boiling and cooling a half pond of each and adding a measured amount to small samples until you find the right amount of each and scale it up.

I can only have lactose, but I'm not sure about the amount. I think I would go on an FG of 1.009. Maybe 1/2 pound for 18L batch?

I had a pale that attenuated like mad and I added 100g lactose to it (about 7.5 gal batch) after fermentation had finished. It worked like a charm and ended up being a great beer. I'd advise you to add like half of whatever you were thinking. Lactose can get very gross very fast in pale beers. Especially for a small beer I'd say start with 50g boiled into solution and added either to the fermenter or at bottling. I added to the fermenter and gave it a few days just in case it was going to ferment at all. I don't think it should, though

I had a pale that attenuated like mad and I added 100g lactose to it (about 7.5 gal batch) after fermentation had finished. It worked like a charm and ended up being a great beer. I'd advise you to add like half of whatever you were thinking. Lactose can get very gross very fast in pale beers. Especially for a small beer I'd say start with 50g boiled into solution and added either to the fermenter or at bottling. I added to the fermenter and gave it a few days just in case it was going to ferment at all. I don't think it should, though
The problem is I do the priming directly in the bottles. So I have to add the right amount :D
Maybe 75 g?

The problem is I do the priming directly in the bottles. So I have to add the right amount :D
Maybe 75 g?

I doubt 75 would pose a problem. Your batch is 5 gal? That's just slightly more than I added proportionately. I'd still start with 60, but if you feel like 75 I say go for it 🍻

I doubt 75 would pose a problem. Your batch is 5 gal? That's just slightly more than I added proportionately. I'd still start with 60, but if you feel like 75 I say go for it 🍻
Okay now I'm confused. I calculated how much lactose I should add to reach 1.009 (from 1.005) and the result is 200g (1/2 lb) what I have to doooo

Okay now I'm confused. I calculated how much lactose I should add to reach 1.009 (from 1.005) and the result is 200g (1/2 lb) what I have to doooo
I think the problem is you're trying to shoot for a number. Just shoot for a good taste. A 1/2 lb might be good in something dark where there is a lot of roastiness to cover the lactose but you don't really have that with a pale beer. Start low. You can also add more lactose if you think you need to.

Latest posts

Back