Lactose for use in homemade root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsallgoforasoda

Reaction score
Hi I have been naturally carbonating sodas and I'm hoping some one might have some insight on lactose. I know that it is used before bottling in some beers to create sweetness and to make them creamy. I'm curious if adding some to the next batch of root beer or cream soda I make might have the same result, or if its pointless because the only ferment at room temp for two days

Hi I have been naturally carbonating sodas and I'm hoping some one might have some insight on lactose. I know that it is used before bottling in some beers to create sweetness and to make them creamy. I'm curious if adding some to the next batch of root beer or cream soda I make might have the same result, or if its pointless because the only ferment at room temp for two days

I vote for pointless. Rootbeer is going to be massively sweet anyway (at least mine is). If you're looking to improve the head, malto-dextrine is probably better. I don't need help there, either - I keg my rootbeer at 40psi and it's pretty foamy.

I vote for pointless. Rootbeer is going to be massively sweet anyway (at least mine is). If you're looking to improve the head, malto-dextrine is probably better. I don't need help there, either - I keg my rootbeer at 40psi and it's pretty foamy.
ohhhhh if only kegging was an option for me right now....
ifmaking a root beer would I add the malto dextrin to boil or wait until it cools down and add at it just before the yeast

ohhhhh if only kegging was an option for me right now....
ifmaking a root beer would I add the malto dextrin to boil or wait until it cools down and add at it just before the yeast

I'd add it at a few minutes before the end of the boil. But I'm not really an expert in this stuff. You might find corroborating sources out on the internet.

Can you easily share your proposed recipe here?

[QUOTE="passedpawn, post: 8785902internet.

Can you easily share your proposed recipe here?[/QUOTE]

boil 2 gallons of water vanilla, licorice sassafras, birch, cherry, wintergreen, cinnamon and so forth for about 20 minutes and then add around 1.5 lbs sugar and molasses, let it cook for maybe 10 more minutes and then pull it off the heat and let it sit with all the herbs and roots In for 30 minutes before I drain it into a bottling bucket with another gallon of water to cool down enough to pitch the yeast
So I guess maybe I could add the dextrin right before or after the sugar molasses in the last ten minutes of cooking the wort* I'm also thinking of making a 2 liter bottles worth just too see if it helps at all with the head but wouldn't have a clue how much to use.

*I'm sure that this is the wrong term please take pity on me hahahaha

Latest posts

Back