Lactose and malto dextrin for body??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZRedIROC

Reaction score
AG Brewer for years I'm working on my first GF stout for a buddy of mine. Worried about the difficulty of the stout style I'm thinking of starting with a coffee milk stout. All the help I can get for body and roast.

I see a lot of recipes that use malto dextrin for body, will it be too much with lactose?

Also has anyone used the D-240 Candi syrup?

Recipe:
3 gallon batch
1.075 OG (75% eff, not sure if that is low for extract)
1.022 FG
30 ibu
42 srm

3.3 lb sorgum syrup
1.0 lb rice solids
1.0 lb D-240 Candi syrup
1.0 lb molasses
8 oz lactose
4 oz malto dextrin
2.0 lb dark roasted oats or buckwheat (not sure what gives better roast)

Yeast
S-04 or Nottingham or Windsor

Secondary:
2 oz ground coffee cold brewed in 16 oz water

My buddy thanks you in advance for the help

If you are an AG brewer then the first advice I would have is abandon sorghum syrup for any brew approaching a stout. Do it all grain! Get all roasted character from rice, get your base from millet, add some Buckwheat for head retention and if you have an OG of 1.075, you will not need any maltodextrin for body or any Belgian candy syrup. You will need enzymes for conversion because the gelatinization temp is high for GF grain. You will see a lot of recent posts on this. Use temperature stable Termamyl for the first high gelatinization rest at about 168 to 170F for 15 or so minutes and then drop temp to 150F or so and add Diatase enzyme or equivalent for a final rest until you get the conversion you want. If you have a proper mash tun and are relying on the grain for a filter bed, then you may want to add some extra rice hulls for insurance since millet base does not have enough husk for proper filtration. With a lot of roasted rice malt, you might be fine without extra added rice hulls.

Last edited:
If you are an AG brewer then the first advice I would have is abandon sorghum syrup for any brew approaching a stout. Do it all grain! Get all roasted character from rice, get your base from millet, add some Buckwheat for head retention and if you have an OG of 1.075, you will not need any maltodextrin for body or any Belgian candy syrup. You will need enzymes for conversion because the gelatinization temp is high for GF grain. You will see a lot of recent posts on this. Use temperature stable Termamyl for the first high gelatinization rest at about 168 to 170F for 15 or so minutes and then drop temp to 150F or so and add Diatase enzyme or equivalent for a final rest until you get the conversion you want. If you have a proper mash tun and are relying on the grain for a filter bed, then you may want to add some extra rice hulls for insurance since millet base does not have enough husk for proper filtration. With a lot of roasted rice malt, you might be fine without extra added rice hulls.
Thanks for the help. I was thinking about all grain but was avoiding buying the grain online. My local store doesn't have millet. Can I get it anywhere other than online?

Look for posts from Legume for unmalted grain. I think she uses unmalted grian for the base and gets the roasted malts form the on-line sources. To start, I would just get the malted grain from the on-line source to begin with. For a 3 gallon GF batch you can easily use the same system you use for a 5 gallon barley brew. Just really clean it well if your friend is sensitive. Stainless can always be cleaned but there is some debate if plastics retain the gluten proteins. I am pretty sensitive and I think thoroughly cleaned equipment would yield cross contamination levels that would be far below what we experience normally in our daily lives. (my opinion)

Real stouts get their coffee and chocolate notes from the grain, not from actual coffee and chocolate, or from candy syrup or molasses. It is difficult to make a proper stout from GF gain, but I think it is best to get the flavors from the grain, and I think you can get the same character from roasted GF grain! My advice is to go for the real thing.

Back