Lacto stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chupidacabra

Reaction score
I made a stout about 6 mo ago. Recently I went to rack it to a keg and realized it had a pretty established lacto infection. (Breaking ice look across the top with a slick white looking layer.)

I decided to rack anyway. I stopped with a good amount in the carboy as to leave most of the goo behind. The beer tasted okay once it was carbed. No noticeable sour characteristics.

It's been about a month now and the beer is starting to get what I'm assuming is a medicinal taste on the back end of the flavor profile. (Similar to the off taste in cough medicine.)

My question is, should I dump this? Will it age out or possibly gain some sour character? This is my first accidental infection and I can pinpoint where it came from. I just hate the idea of pouring product.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wait, just keep it in a cellar for a few more months and see where it goes. The other option is drink it fast and lessen the risk of it getting worse. The choice is yours.

What temp would you recommend? I really don't want to hold up that keg that long but I might as well see where it goes.

Wait, just keep it in a cellar for a few more months and see where it goes. The other option is drink it fast and lessen the risk of it getting worse. The choice is yours.

I'm an idiot, forgot to quote lol.

Mid fifties if you can find it. But otherwise just room temp is fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Back