Lacto starter questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilfonzo

Reaction score
Photo%2520Apr%252025%252C%252010%252054%252002%2520AM.jpg

I used Wyeast Lacto with a 2L 1.030 OG DME starter.

It has been going pretty well as far as I can tell. I have it on a hot plate that keeps it at 100*F.

Questions:
- Should I be stirring it?
- Do I pitch in the pellicle also?
- I plan on saving some, do I save the stuff at the bottom, the pellicle, or both?
- How long do I let this starter go for?

Anything else I should know?

Here's a good article: Maintaining Brett & Lacto Starters

An exerpt:
Lactobacillus – Lacto likes simple sugars, so I use preservative free apple juice plus 1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient per quart. Apple juice comes pasteurized so it can be opened and added directly to the starter (although you could also dilute it up to 50%). Unlike yeast Lacto does not need oxygen to reproduce, but a small amount will not hurt it. I have read that some people decant their starters to avoid getting the malic acid from the juice into their beer, but the small amount has never caused a problem for me. Refrigerator temperatures are a good idea to slow their life cycle and keep them from dying between feedings. Adding some chalk can help to buffer against the lactic acid produced by the culture (Lacto doesn’t do well below pH ~3.8 per Vinnie).

So based on that, I'd say don't stir it, pitch the cake and save the cake.

Cheers!

Thanks, Great article.

The recipe had called for ale yeast to be added, but i think I might forgo that now.

No not by itself. If you want to save some of the lactobacillus by itself then leave some of the cake from the lacto starter in a sanitary, air tight container and top it up with sterile water. Or keep the lacto starter going and occasionally keep feeding it.

Back