Lacto starter for 11 days... too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemEng

Reaction score
I started a 1.5 L lacto starter (wyeast 5335 with 1.040 SG LME with stir plate) on wednesday thinking I was goin to brew on saturday, but it looks like I won't get to brew until NEXT Saturday. Should I just leave it on the stir plate (@70 degF) for the full 11 days or should I pull it off and refrigerate?

Neither. I wouldn't have put it on a stirplate in the first place, lacto prefers an anaerobic environment. Bacteria is best stored at room temp.

As long as the flask is stoppered stirring is a good idea. Agitation increseases cell density, but TNGabe is correct delbrueckii is an anaerobic bacteria.

I have had an airlock on it so hopefully that is enough to keep the oxygen out. I was stirring to keep the cells in suspension, at least that was my thinking. I do open it to smell it about once a day... this pic is with the stir plate off for 2 days (I turned it off after reading the first response. ) but I will turn it back on low.

View attachment 1418081807714.jpg

Not sure why my pics are posting sideways no matter which way I turn my phone.

I wasn't exactly correct in my previous post. It appears aeration is strain dependent on improving cell density, but oxygen doesn't inhibit lacto. Just to clarify, here's a quote:

"Yep, as the other poster noted it is species dependent. I quote a study in my book that found 50% more cells when L. brevis is aerated. In general Lacto is not harmed by oxygen, oxygen is often excluded (from say a sour mash) because other unwanted microbes require it." - Mad Fermentationist

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2014/09/lemon-berliner-weisse-recipe.html

Well, I brewed a flanders red yesterday but I screwed up one important step...

I meant to pitch 0.5 oz fuggles to get ~8 IBU, however at the start of the boil, the baby started crying and my wife was yelling at me to get him... so long story short, I got distracted and just pitched the entire 1 oz bag. I realized it as the pellets were falling into the boiling wort and there was nothing I could do.

Will the lacto grow with ~16 IBU? Is there anything I can do to help them out or will this brew just be less sour?

I was going to brew another batch in a few months to pitch onto this cake when I rack to secondary... should I just forgo the hops in that one all together add another pack of 3767and then blend them before bottling?

I dont have any experience with 5335, but from what I have heard it is hop sensitive.

If it is inhibited by the hops, you may consider adding pediococcus. If you do you will probably want some brett too, to deal with diacetyl.

I also pitched Roeselare 3763 so the brett and pedio should be included. It will be an interesting brew for sure.

If I brew another batch next weekend without hops, can I blend it 50/50% with this batch and pitch more lacto? Will that effectively cut the hops ABUs in half? Or am I just throwing good money and time after bad?

Bacteria is best stored at room temp.
i know this is the case for brett, but does it also apply to bacteria? i was under the impression that bacteria are best stored in the fridge.

If I brew another batch next weekend without hops, can I blend it 50/50% with this batch and pitch more lacto? Will that effectively cut the hops ABUs in half?

yup, you would be cutting your IBUs in half.

i know this is the case for brett, but does it also apply to bacteria? i was under the impression that bacteria are best stored in the fridge.

yup, you would be cutting your IBUs in half.

Cool, if I can find the time to brew then I might try that.

I don't think anyone answered the original post's question about how long a starter of lacto can sit around. Does it matter? I want to brew soon (within 2 week window) but not sure exactly when I will be able to). If I make the starter today, it shouldn't have an issue with sitting around at room temp, correct? I have L Brevis lacto strain. I would use a stoppper so no extra oxygen gets into the starter.
I wouldn't think there would be any issues with this, but figured I would ask as I've never built up a lacto starter.
Thanks!

I don't think anyone answered the original post's question about how long a starter of lacto can sit around. Does it matter? I want to brew soon (within 2 week window) but not sure exactly when I will be able to). If I make the starter today, it shouldn't have an issue with sitting around at room temp, correct? I have L Brevis lacto strain. I would use a stoppper so no extra oxygen gets into the starter.
I wouldn't think there would be any issues with this, but figured I would ask as I've never built up a lacto starter.
Thanks!

Ha whoops, good point.

There are a number of things that would determine how long you can let a starter sit around. The two I think would have the biggest impact would be pH and the sg of the starter. Lactobacillus have a prefered pH for growth, I dont know it off the top of my head but it is available online. If you let a starter sit for too long the pH could drop too low and stress the cells. Also to strong of a wort will stress the cells out as well.

So if you were to make a low gravity starter say around 1.020 and buffer it around the pH range lacto prefers, then you could probably keep it around for a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back