Lacto Starter Concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlonardo

EngiBEERing Since 2012
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I decided recently to brew my first sour, a Berliner Weisse. This past Wednesday I went and made myself a lacto starter using hot water and some crushed grain. Put that mixture into a mason jar and left it covered with aluminum foil in a warm area (80-90).

The first couple of days it smelled exactly as I thought it would, like soured milk. However, when I got home today and gave it a whiff the smell had completely changed. It is still sour, but smells more solvency and kind of burns the nostril.

Against my better judgement, I decided I would taste it. It tastes sour and grainy, just as I would imagine it should!

Did my lacto lose? Am I just smelling a higher concentration of acid (acetic perhaps?). Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sounds like ethyl acetate (acetone), probably due to wild yeast that was on the grains fermenting at that high temperature. I would use the starter and see what happens, but don't ferment the beer with that starter at that high temperature. Hopefully at a lower fermentation temperature the acetone doesn't come through.

Well, a few days later and the smell has definitely mellowed out a bit. It has more of a lemony scent to it. The taste hasn't changed much. Still very sour, nothing in there that makes me gag, which is good I suppose.

I got a little nervous so I made a second starter Saturday night (screw it, I used $0.50 worth of grain). Today the smell is basically the same as the first, and the flavor is sour but not quite as strong as the original.

I plan on brewing this on Wednesday after work, so I'll plan to pitch the original then.

Back