Lacto infection and cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geckholm

Reaction score
I had/have what I thought was a lacto infection at the end of fermentation, filmy, big bubbles etc, but I thought I would let it go and see what happened. Stuck it in the fridge to cold crash and it has totally disappeared. So, I'm pretty sure I cannot get rid of an infection via cold crashing (wish it was that easy!), but will cold crashing cause the symptoms to go away with the rest of the sediment???

It won't go away. Lacto is just like yeast in that they go dormant at low temps. So you'll still have the lacto production that's in there already, but it won't get worse as long as you keep it at fridge temps, and you can filter out the lacto gunk before you keg/bottle.

It won't go away. Lacto is just like yeast in that they go dormant at low temps. So you'll still have the lacto production that's in there already, but it won't get worse as long as you keep it at fridge temps, and you can filter out the lacto gunk before you keg/bottle.

Thanks. So, if I cold crashed and it all went dormant and sank to the bottom, I can siphon from the top and be good? (I Keg, so it will be chilled to around 40 going forward anyway)

Yup....at 40, you might get some really slow lacto activity, so you'll want to drink this one sooner than later, but you'll pretty much have the infection under control at 40F, and the beer should stay pretty much the way it tastes now.

Latest posts

Back