kveik yeast suggestion for a pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikes88

Reaction score
I want to brew an American pale ale. Maybe inspired by zombie dust. I'm just looking for kveik suggestions. Experiences and what you think the particular strain might bring out, or match, in a full bodied pale ale. I'm using the kveik mostly for speed.

Hornindal or Voss would be great for pale ales and they are widely available even dried now.

I just bottled a hoppy mild ale ( a bitza brew ) with Voss. Before I dry hopped there was an orange aroma but tasted like mild. After dry hopping with Columbus chinook and cascade, there is now no orange aroma, just dank hop aroma. If it’s a hoppy beer you shouldn’t notice it

I just bottled a hoppy mild ale ( a bitza brew ) with Voss. Before I dry hopped there was an orange aroma but tasted like mild. After dry hopping with Columbus chinook and cascade, there is now no orange aroma, just dank hop aroma. If it’s a hoppy beer you shouldn’t notice it
I just kegged a blondish belgianish beer with voss. It had kind of an orange aroma and tang to it (I tasted it out of the fermentor). I actually didn't mind the taste though, I didn't want to make a pilsner. I will move forward with either voss or hornindal. Its ok if the yeast does leave a unique taste, I'm just trying to figure out which one would match better. Or maybe all the citra will bury any taste anyway?

In my experience the orange character from Voss persists, so the beer tastes great even after the hop character fades. It's a great choice for pale ales.

Back