Krusen but no airlock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior

Reaction score
Hey all, I have fermentation activity but no airlock activity. First time using PET bottles, I am assuming I have a leak with bung. Any suggestions? Never had this happen with glass carboys.

200_8867.jpg

Its just a leak. It will be fine.

Yeah. My airlock hasn't been bubbling on a couple of brews lately, yet it still gets down to 1.015-1.020 after 3 weeks. Not worried if the gas is escaping elsewhere.

Thank's guys for the reply,
I know having co2 escaping won't have any negative effects, but I am annal/type A. Tried tying some string around bung,seems to be achieving objective. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

200_8869.jpg

I wonder if a little silicone grease (keg lube) applied to the outside of the neck of the carboy would make a good seal with that cap?

I wonder if a little silicone grease (keg lube) applied to the outside of the neck of the carboy would make a good seal with that cap?

RM,
Thank's for the suggestion, don't think I want to put any type of grease on the bung, would think it is a pain to clean.

Those orange caps are made for the glass carboys that have a thicker neck. I've always used rubber stoppers and don't have any problem.

I only use the orange caps for forced transfers.

Yes, the orange caps are notorious for leaking around the neck seal on a carboy. As mentioned above, not a major issue, but you will be better off using a bung next time to ensure a tight seal. Cheers!

Sometimes I will use a large zip tie, or 2 zip ties attached to one other, to cinch the orange cap tight around the carboy opening. Works great.

I use a 3 inch stainless steel hose clamp to cinch the bung down. Works everytime and is reusable. Get them at any auto parts store or lowes or Home Depot.

Thank's to everyone for you suggestions,
Went with this type of bung, drilled a hole for my thermometer probe and so far seems good.
Cheer's to all

200_8909.jpg

Latest posts

Back