Kriek advice needed - fresh cherries from the garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFallopian

Reaction score
I have a cherry tree in my garden, and, instead of leaving them for wasps and blackbirds, I plan to use the next crop in a kriek.

I haven't made a kriek (or a lambic at all, for that matter) so I'm looking for some advice on how to use the cherries.

Thanks in advance!

Lambics are rather advanced, but wonderful if you have lots of time.

How about a Cherry mead (melomel). I just did a Quad with dark cherries, bourbon, and oak.

Cherry apple cider.

Lots of options.

I have a cherry tree in my garden, and, instead of leaving them for wasps and blackbirds, I plan to use the next crop in a kriek!

"leaving them for thw birds?" Our cherries are eaten by birds the moment they turn from green to the faintest shade of red. They never get a chance to ripen
:(

The cherries will have their own yeast on them, but what you can do is crush them and drop them in your fermentor 6 months before bottling. This gives time for the various yeasts to digest the cherries and for the pits to impart some flavor. The only downside of 6 months is the cherry flavor may have already dissipated. So you can try tasting after 2 months, and then each month there after. The problem with that is Oxygen allows acetic acid producing organisms to thrive and that can ruin your Lambic.

Lambics are rather advanced, but wonderful if you have lots of time.

How about a Cherry mead (melomel). I just did a Quad with dark cherries, bourbon, and oak.

Cherry apple cider.

Lots of options.

I'm not too keen on mead or fruit ciders, so I'm up for the Lambic challenge...

Back