krausening and diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str1p3s

Reaction score
I read that krausening helps a lot with diacetyl but I would still like to do a diacetyl rest to be sure. Anyone else do this? What kind of timeline and temps did you do?

I brewed a maibock (5.5 gallon batch, 1.076 OG) that has been fermenting for ~36 hours at the moment. I saved off a growler full of wort and about 10% of my starter for the krausening step.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Not experienced with Krausening, but your diacetyl rest normally would take place when you are within 5-10 points of your estimated final gravity and should be between 60F - 66F for 2-3 days.

I use this method. http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/
This method goes with a 50% attenuation rule before diacetyl rest, - usually 5-6 days at low temp, then 5-6 days at diacetyl rest. The only time I've gotten strong diacetyl is when I under-pitched. I don't even both to take readings anymore for the diacetyl rest, since my fermentation temps are strictly controlled. I do take FG though. An extra day at diacetyl rest temps won't hurt it.

That is also the method I'm going with. Big fan of Brulosophy. I think I will add the krausen step after the d-rest if I need it. From what I've read, krausening isn't just for diacetyl but also helps attenuation.

This is my first attempt at a lager and I'd like to get it right the first time! Thanks for the replies.

He uses gelatin in his beers.
I did his method for my first Lager recently without gelatin and tasted good but wasn't clear like his in the picture he shows... It was "clearish" but not clear..just a heads up

Back