Krausening and biofine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echoALEia

Reaction score
Hi all!

I brewed an amber lager recently and I’m at the diacetyl rest phase. I wanted to use biofine to clarify the beer, but I also wanted to krausen it with a small portion of wort I saved to naturally carbonate it. When should I add both? The biofine first or the krausen first then biofine (I would lose my carbonation if I add the biofine second, right?)

Thanks and Cheers!

[emoji482][emoji482]

Bottling or Kegging?
How long are you planning on lagering it?
If you do a standard lagering procedure for 3 weeks or longer, you probably won't need the biofine. But if you still want too, I would use the biofine 1st, then krausen after a week or so later. There should still be enough yeast. The krausening though might counteract the reason for the biofine, because after all with krausening, you are restarting an active fermentation. I may be missing something, because I don't see the reason for the biofine.

Yea I was thinking that as well concerning the need for biofine or not. I’ll be kegging this but all of this is being done in a unitank so I guess I’ll just dump the sediment every so often during lagering (I was planning on 3-4 weeks). I want this beer super clear

I knew there had to be variables I wasn't aware of (unitank). Not being too familiar with how they work, are you planning on doing the krausening in that, or waiting until you keg?

If you're fermenting in a unitank you should just cap off instead of krausening. May or may not be too late now.

You can add biofine to a sanitized corney, purge it really well with CO2, and put under a bit of pressure, and then connect to your racking arm (pointed straight up in the tank), draw carbonated beer into said corney, and then use CO2 to blast it all back into the tank. Fining under pressure.

However, may wanna double check the pressure rating of your tank and PRV. Most tanks/PRVs, even unitanks, are only rated to one bar (even if they're safety tested higher, the PRV won't let you do it). I'd never tweak a PRV to up it's pressure. One bar isn't really enough to naturally carbonate.

Krausening and capping fermentation both create the same natural carbonation but krausening offers a few more benefits.

Skip the biofine.

Krausen in and then lager for a few weeks at 30-32, 2 minimum, 4+ might be even better..,it’ll be plenty clear.

Back