Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflach1

Reaction score
i was going to rack my blegian white brew to a secondary after 8 days of fermenting and when i looked into the primary (food grade plastic bucket) i saw that there was still a substantial amount of krausen on top. should i just close off the primary and let it ferment a few more days or should i go ahead and rack it to the secondary?

You could take a gravity reading and see how far along it is, but I think you may want to wait. Is there an airlock? If there is and there is no activity in it, you should be fine.

I never go to secondary while there's still krauzen...it takes pressure to hold that stuff up, which means your beer is still fermenting.

My Belgian Wit has been sitting in primary for two weeks (since Friday before last). As of today I am finally down to a bubble a minute. I will probably let it sit until at least Saturday before I transfer it to secondary. My other batches have usually fermented out faster, but this one seems to be taking its time. I agree with the others, let it go until at least the krausen disappers. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back