Krausen when washing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skw

Reaction score
I bottled my latest beer yesterday and decided to wash some of the yeast cake. I followed the instructions (sanitized jar, boiled and cooled water) and put the jar in a cool place (40s) overnight for things to settle. This morning I opened it and was surprised to find that it was not just under a lot of pressure but that there was krausen on top.

Does this mean that the bottles I just filled will also continue to ferment? The fermentation had reached a stable gravity when I bottled it and there weren't any sings of krausen on top of it (I typically give my beer enough time to get a crystal clear surface before bottling, even when gravity is stable already). Was this a stuck fermentation?

I don't have any mashing facts about my beer, it was 6lbs of extract on 4 gallons of water, OG ~1.068, FG ~1.015. That did sound about right to me.

Could you have contaminated it? Or was the pressure sucking into the jar and not out, due to the sealed temperature change?

I'm pretty sure the pressure was pushing out, not in, judging from the krausen that sprayed out of it. Contamination, maybe? I would find it hard to see how that would happen, given that the only instruments involved were the jar and the spoon, both boiled in water for several minutes.

What yeast is it? 1.068 to 1.015 is pretty good attenuation. Maybe by mixing it up, the last few active yeast took it down a few points?
Even more strange is that it did it cold, right?

Yeast is US-05, might have been slightly under pitched.
Mostly, I'm worried about bottle bombs. I'm wondering if the beer I bottled now is going to fermented more than I expected. Maybe I should open one every other day to check pressure?

Latest posts

Back