Krausen stopping up the airlock. Any tips??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
I have a Moo Hoo Chocolate stout clone fermenting. The krausen is this thick chocolaty looking, wonderfully smelling stuff that keeps clogging the bottom of the airlock. Some of it makes it up into the blow-off tube but not much since the krausen is so thick.

The top of the fermenting bucket starts to bulge because of the blockage. If I push down on it, usually it will help break loose the blockage and relieve some of the pressure. I tell my wife I have to go burp my baby...

I'm tempted to leave the stopper out of the bung hole. But obviously would be risking infection. :smack:

Any tips/fixes??

Blow off tube. Stick a tube in the bung instead of the airlock. Put the other end of the tube in a container of starsan so the tube is submerged. Make sure the container is big enough to hold the krausen that bubbles out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Blow off tube. Stick a tube in the bung instead of the airlock. Put the other end of the tube in a container of starsan so the tube is submerged. Make sure the container is big enough to hold the krausen that bubbles out.

This. Remember to sanitise the tube carefully since the gunky yeast matter can easily flow back into the fermentor.

The blow-off tube I'm using won't fit into the bung so I had it attached to the inner tube of a 3 piece airlock (with the other 2 pieces removed).

But now that I think about it, I have a hard plastic mini racking cane that might fit into the bung. I could use that instead of the air lock and attached the blow-off tube to the racking cane.

I'll give that a try. Thanks!!

The blow-off tube I'm using won't fit into the bung so I had it attached to the inner tube of a 3 piece airlock (with the other 2 pieces removed).

But now that I think about it, I have a hard plastic mini racking cane that might fit into the bung. I could use that instead of the air lock and attached the blow-off tube to the racking cane.

I'll give that a try. Thanks!!

I use the 3 piece with a tube like you mentioned. It helps to cut the star off the bottom of the airlock with a dremel tool so the bottom does not get clogged.

Is this one of those airlocks with the cross cut in the bottom, or is it fully open?

I use the 3 piece with a tube like you mentioned. It helps to cut the star off the bottom of the airlock with a dremel tool so the bottom does not get clogged.

I was going to mention this too. I have no idea if that little bit of plastic serves a purpose (kind of doubt it does), but it definitely helps blockages build.

+1 on the blow off tube. I switched by necessity when I found that I didn't have enough head space in my fermentor chamber for an airlock. My last batch produced a lot of Krausen and the blow off tube worked like it should. Don't forget to sterilize it before using it.

I use a blow off mounted to the internal tube of a 3 piece bubbler. Cut off the cross at the base, as it will cause blockages.

DOH! :smack:

Why didn't I think of that?? I have like 3 or 4 of the dumb things too...

I've cut the bottom quarter inch or so off of the airlock, and that seems to do the trick. Even so, with a few feet of tube going into a bucket of water, there will be some back pressure created, enough that may cause the lid to swell slightly. As long as you don't have an actual blockage, you're good.

Back