krausen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerhound28

Reaction score
Hello
I added sugar to my primary yesterday once the krausen started to fall..after a few hours another layer of krausen formed but much "soapier looking" today i woke up checked it out still there but literally a few mins later i looked at it again the krausen totally disappeared in the matter of minutes...what does that mean? did i stress the crap out of the yeast with the sugar addition?

I'm certainly no expert here but I can say from experience that every beer will behave differently, even if the same yeast is used. I mainly use dry yeast, us05 or s04 and never get the same krausen (sp?). I have had them drop in a few days or even had one stay up for the entire primary (4 weeks) so I wouldn't worry at all, if you are worried pull a sample to see the SG and give her a taste.

Edit. My best guess would be the sugar addition got the yeast active and slightly warmed the beer. I have had a krausen fall in a matter of seconds when I moved a carboy to a warmer room to d rest.

I'm certainly no expert here but I can say from experience that every beer will behave differently, even if the same yeast is used. I mainly use dry yeast, us05 or s04 and never get the same krausen (sp?). I have had them drop in a few days or even had one stay up for the entire primary (4 weeks) so I wouldn't worry at all, if you are worried pull a sample to see the SG and give her a taste.

Edit. My best guess would be the sugar addition got the yeast active and slightly warmed the beer. I have had a krausen fall in a matter of seconds when I moved a carboy to a warmer room to d rest.
thanks..that makes sense..probably did warm it up...its a belgian so i pitched at 62* and raised it up to the low/mid 70's over the coarse of a few days...could just be the yeast when on the simple sugar attack..i see bubbles streaming up..also the ABV might be going up which cause the krausen drop..i dont really know but i will see what happens..thanks again cheers

Back