Krausen on stirplate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W0rthog

Reaction score
Expert,
I am ramping up some yeast on a stir plate and in the 2nd round, I'm getting krausen. In the past, I haven't got krausen. I'm not too concerned, but would like to know if this is typical or expected.
Thanks in advance.

Typical. Might have gotten a little warmer, maybe it just woke up a bit more than before. Good sign though.

If you don't get krausen on round two then it is abnormal. Watch for overflow.

Absolutley normal. I do 2 or 3 step ups from harvested yeast and the yeast always gets more active with each step. It is aproaching the peak of health. My advice is either don't fill the starter more than half full (may need bigger container), or use foam control.

I had Krausen develop after I put a starter in the fridge to chill. Worried me a little because it overflowed and I was hoping nothing got infected. I ended up pitching the whole thing instead of decanting and it was one of the most active fermentations I've had. The damn thing just kept going. Made great beer.

Latest posts

Back