Krausen increased on day 8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norbyd

Reaction score
Wondering if this has happened to any if you guys: I'm brewing a Belgian style Wit (WLP400 yeast). I got the normal Krausen of about 3 inches a couple days in and a week in it had only dropped about half an inch. I thought maybe it was a little too warm (my house thermostat is all I have to maintain temp and it's set to 75, so too warm) so I decided to move the carboy near my ac vent with a fan pointed right on the carboy. I woke up at 4 am to my airlock clogged with krausen and I quickly had to rig up my blowoff tube set up. Has anyone had anything like this happen? I would have thought that cooling it down would reduce the krausen but it had the opposite effect.

Interesting. My guess is that when you moved the carboy the motion kicked up the yeast possibly energizing the fermentation. Also, (although I'm less sure of this) the cooler temperatures may have put the yeast back into the proper temperature band. The combination of the two or one or the other could explain the sudden activity.

Hey sorry I never got back to you. I appreciate the response. Still not totally sure what exactly caused the yeast to go crazy but everything eventually calmed down. The wit is now at home in bottles and tasting great!

Latest posts

Back