Krausen Drop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopWolf

Reaction score
Ok my first all grain attempt is a Breakfast Stout clone, hit the OG of 1.084 and pitched a 1L starter of Wyeast 1056 and as I did I was a bit concerned as the starter didn't build up that large yeastie layer after taking it off the stir plate, there was some but not like in the past. I used a can of Fast Pitch and a slap pack of 1056, the can of Fast Pitch seemed soft but no leaks anyway, I used a large blowoff tube as I expected a mess and fermentation started rapidly. I didn't get krausen out the bowoff as the starting volume was a little low in a 6.5 gal carboy.
It's been 17 days at 68F and activity is very slow to nil and there's still a 1/2" layer of krausen on top. I haven't checked gravity as I usally do when I rack to the secondary and this batch has a large amount of fallout at the bottom of the carboy.
Any concerns?
My thoughts are if the gravity is still high I think I may pitch another pack of 1056, if it's done then all I'm concerned about it the krausen layer, will it ever drop? or do I care?
Thanks in advance

Pitching more yeast at this point won't do a thing for you, so forget that idea. Aside from the krausen still present, what does the beer look like? Are the yeast flocculating? If so, then it is likely done and a gentle swirl of the carboy should knock the krausen free so it will drop. If it were me, I'd take a gravity reading and see where it actually is, though, then you can be sure.

Pretty sure you'll find the beer is finished out. With big stouts like that with a nice body the krausen just won't drop out until you start transferring it into its new home as it just adheres to the glass. Warm it up to 72 F for a couple of days and give it a swirl and it'll be fine.

The beer looks good, nice and dark chocolate brown. There's a big layer of yeast/chocolate fallout? as there was was 24oz of chocolate mixed in at flameout.
I have given it a couple of light swirls which in the past brews have started it to fallout but this was is staying put.
I'm going to transfer to secondary within a few days, take a reading (and a taste) and see what's up.
Thanks @LLBeanJ and @porterpounder for your input, I'll update with a gravity reading along with taste and smell shortly

Take your gravity reading then decide if it should be racked to a secondary vessel or kept on the yeast cake longer.

I agree with @porterpounder

Warm it up... every time. Trust the yeast. You don't need more.

1056 / US-05 does not flock well.

I quit using it (and used Notty) until I was able to cold crash. I takes days to drop.
Great yeast just does not flock.

OK this was racked to the secondary and hit the FG of 1.021 and it still tastes great so I'm now I'm anxious to get it bottled.
I did get a tremendous amount of trub/chocolate/coffee grounds on the bottom of the primary and salvaged 3 gals of clean dark stout liquid to crash and bottle

Back