Krausen at top of carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crutd

Reaction score
Hello,

this is my first time at home brewing and after about day 6 I noticed that (I think) that there is krausen at the top of my carboy and it looks like it’s blocking the mouth of it. I’ve seen that you don’t want this to drop into the beer when racking so I was wondering if I should do anything,or just try to not let too much drop when racking. I just changed from the blow off tube to the airlock today. thanks!

Attachments

• CEC4AB13-553A-4F32-A8D2-B06664968228.jpeg
    CEC4AB13-553A-4F32-A8D2-B06664968228.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
From the picture, I doubt that you'll be able to avoid all of it when it's time to rack. I suppose you could remove some with a sanitized spoon, but if you do that, I'd recommend waiting until you open the fermenter for racking. No matter what, some is going to fall into the beer. Once the beer level nears the bottom of the fermenter, I'd try not to suck up whatever has fallen into the racking cane.

But really, I would not sweat this too much. If it hadn't wedged itself into the neck, it would have mostly sunk in the beer anyway.

Back