Kolsch - my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushnbugs

Reaction score
So back on Feb 15 I made my first beer that was a Kolsch, it has been sitting in a quiet cold corner since.

I wanted to take it to the next step but Im a little confused. I have this bag of sugar that came with the kit. What do I do with it? The instructions were so poor its not funny.

Back on Feb 25 I peaked and observed 1/2-3/4 inch of thick foam on top of fermenting beer, it smelled nice and I took a reading of 1.014 and then I tasted my sample and was pleasantly surprised how good it tasted.

My plan was to bottle a few and keg the remainder. Can I rack in the keg? I wanted this for St Pattys day next week end and am not quite sure how to proceed. Another reading? Rack it? In the keg? Botttles? and this bag of sugar?

Thanks!
:tank:

The "bag of sugar" is priming sugar, this is to be put in your bottling bucket if you are "priming" 5 gallons to go into bottles. If you are going to keg, you can just rack it to the keg with out the sugar and force carbonate it. Then you can throw some in bottles. Or you can get some carbonation drops and prime some bottles while racking it to the keg. Check this video it's easier to understand. LOL :D

[ame]http://youtu.be/xwbuqNS458c[/ame]

In my opinion I would keg the whole thing because it might be tough to calculate how much sugar to use when bottling a partial batch. Then if you need the beer for a party you can just tap the keg and pour into a growler or pitcher....Also, a month from the brewing date to drinking date is a quick turnaround so the beer might still be "green", but I would think a Kolsch could have a quick turnaround since it's a light beer. But that's all my opinion, and I'm far from an expert.

ps - I have a Kolsch lagering in the fridge that I brewed back in December. Kegerator is full so I've been letting it just hang out.

good luck with having it ready next saturday. if you're carbing with sugar it will be extremely close. i have had some beers taht are carbed in a week but most take around 2 weeks.

if you are kegging you have the capability to have it ready in a couple days

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas, I looked at the video and found it helpful. I actually have the book from John Palmer and found it to be a little vague at times but it defiantly did help to open back up to the bottling chapter to reinforce what I had to do.

I ended up bottling 7 and I used 4 conditioning tablets in each bottle. I didn't use the bulk sugar at all and then I kegged the remainder. I have it chilling at 35 degrees in the keezer until St Patties day. I HOPE I didn't mess it up. All smelled really good and I did sample the beer from the gravity reading and it tasted like beer…

Keep your fingers crossed for me...

I have been brewing a new batch about every two weeks.

I have the Kolsh going, a Cream Ale almost ready and an American Wheat in the fermenter as we speak.

I think an IPA will be next

:mug:

Latest posts

Back