Koelsch and lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSwede

Reaction score
So I do not have the space or the equipment for dedicated refrigeration (YET...)...but summer is round the corner and I wouldnt mind some lighter crisper brews to enjoy in the sunshine.

So I did some looking around (and some drinking) and found some info saying that a Koelsch could be achieved without the low temps usually needed for lagers. The first line in the article was something like.... 'Want a crisp summer lager but dont have a refrigerator for fermenting?'. My eyes lit up! But then half way through the article it then said.... 'then lager it for 2 months' i.e. the need for refrigeration!!

So the question is.... Is lagering necessary to get an acceptable koelsch? And does anyone have any tips for possible higher temp. yeasts which could produce something more 'summery'?

Thanks!

David

Honestly, if I was you I would looked up "California steam lager".

It uses ale yeast but has lager flavor profiles. It might be exactly what your looking for.

Kolsch fermentation is generally around 62F with a German Ale strain. Warmer tends to be too fruity. Getting a crisp, smooth Kolsch does require a good amount of lagering at as cold as it can tolerate, but an acceptable ale can be achieved without cold conditioning. Maybe for an American Wheat or Blonde fermented with Cali Ale yeast. Clean and no need to worry about really cool temps.

People who say they "can't" lager need to remember a simple option:

Just bottle your beer, let it condition for 3 weeks to carbonate, then... refrigerate it! Voila... you have lagering. The trick is not to drink it immediately! Or drink it over time, observing how it matures.

What youre saying is valid and I did do some reading about in bottle lagering but I keep my normal size fridge stocked with food... so along with the other brews I have chilling its impractical for me to have other bottles in there weeks at a time.

I have been looking at a local (Swedish) golden ale though I think I may try and clone. Its super fresh and uses a standard ale yeast. Only problem is the brewery doesnt give away the proportions used for the ingredients :confused: so may take a few attempts!

If you get a recipe for the Swedish golden ale, please post it. My father-in-law is Swedish and I would love to make some for him.

Tak!

Back